Chapter 28

28. EARTH, WATER, PLANTS AND SUNLIGHT

The breeze tugged at Senna's leaves, reminding her of when the wind had caressed her hair. She wished she could close her eyes to block out reality. But at least her sight was dim and fuzzy; it made it easier to believe none of this was real. She struggled to move her thinnest branches. How long would it be before she took the path the other Witches had and forgot everything? How long before Joshen's memory no longer existed for her? How long before she was fully a tree, a woman no more?

Espen had disappeared for a while. She returned with an axe in hand. Senna suspected she wouldn't have to wonder much longer. Espen handed the axe to Joshen. "Come." She stood before Senna, her arms folded across her chest. "I don't need you anymore. Only your continued interference stopped things from progressing. Besides, I need to test the loyalty of my new servant. You understand. And even if you don't, I forbid you to stop him." She pointed to Joshen. "Chop down the tree. Burn the wood."

Senna wanted to lash out with her branches. Wring Espen like wet laundry. As best she could, she sang for Joshen, but it came out as little more than the rustle of her leaves.

Joshen took a step forward then stopped. Sweat broke out on his face.

Espen circled him, her eyes gleaming. "I see I'm going to have to be very specific with you. Using the axe, cut down this tree. Do it now."

Arms trembling, Joshen lifted the axe into the air. Senna longed to cringe, close her eyes, scream. She couldn't.

His whole body shaking as uncontrollably as if fevered, Joshen lowered the axe.

Espen's gaze narrowed to a fuming glare. "I command you—CUT DOWN THE TREE!"

Joshen quaked. His skin turned a magnificent shade of red. His eyes bulged. Through clenched teeth, he said, "No."

Espen reeled. She glanced at Senna and then back to Joshen. "Then you are of no use to me." She removed a small vial from her seed belt. Senna recognized it. A simple poison. We'll both die this night, she thought. But at least we'll die together.

The selfish part of Senna wished she could go first. So she wouldn't have to watch Joshen die. But at least her sorrow wouldn't last long. Nor would she fear her own death, but embrace it. She didn't wish to remain in a world Joshen wasn't a part of ... one Espen ruled.

Espen unstopped the vial and tipped Joshen's head back.

The vial touched his lips. Senna stretched and groaned, trying to struggle as hard for Joshen as he had for her. The liquid shifted toward his waiting mouth. Then Espen suddenly stopped. Senna could have cried with joy as the evil little container lowered to her side. But then she saw it, too. Though it was still deep night, the sky was brighter. Much brighter.

Shoving in the vial's stopper, Espen pulled a seed from her belt, her stance defensive.

With a shimmering pulse, the sky flashed, blinding Senna to anything but light. Espen and Joshen shielded themselves from the intensity, but Senna's weak eyes were able to look into the brilliance. At first, she saw nothing. And then colors appeared. Long thin shapes of green, blue, brown and very last, gold.

The long, thin shapes clarified into the curved shapes of women. The Creators. They had come after all. The light faded, or perhaps Senna simply became accustomed to it. There were four of them. Everything but their skin was a single color whose tint varied by the moment. The brown one had hair of black Earth that brightened to the light red of clay. The blue woman's hair and dress went from turquoise to nearly green-black. The green Creator's color varied from the color of baby grass to the deepest evergreen. But the golden one—whose hair and dress varied from sun yellow to corn silk to ripe wheat—studied Senna.