First Defenses

Cassia

"Emmy! Amber!" I called as I approached the two girls, one of them arguing with the robot.

They turned. "Thank Notch it's you," Emmy breathed. "Amber was about to slice Nooch in half."

"I need to get a restraining order on him," Amber said. Nooch smirked.

"Where was I when you guys first fought?" I asked, puzzled.

"Sleeping," Nooch replied.

"Creeper," Amber muttered.

"Calling my looks explosive? Aw, you shouldn't have," Nooch teased.

"Not what I meant," Amber snarled quietly.

"Here we go again," Emmy groaned.

"Maybe you should lay off the advances," I suggested. "Then maybe she'll tolerate you."

"Tolerate him? As if," Emmy said.

"Either that or love me baby," Nooch winked.

"Gross," Amber wrinkled her nose. "I'd rather date a sheep than you."

"Why a sheep? Have trouble sleeping because of my attractiveness?" Nooch flirted.

"That's it!" Amber shrieked, leaping for Nooch, only to be thrown back by a flying Skylar.

"Now's not the time!" she insisted, rolling off of her. "I can sense them."

"Who are you?" Amber asked.

"And what can you sense?" Emmy finished.

"The squids," Skylar said curtly. "They want to use me against Sky."

"Sky? From TeamCrafted?" Nooch asked. "Isn't he in the cities with the rest of TeamCrafted?"

"Yeah," Skylar confirmed, "but he's my boyfriend. The squids are trying to get rid of me, so they'll try to get me, since the earlier trick with Dawn was successful in getting them to the squid dimension."

"I'll get the others," Nooch said, taking off.

"Thank god," Amber sighed. "Cassia, stay in the house."

"No," Skylar interrupted. "She should fight."

"How?" I asked. "My health isn't exactly the best. I practically have a slow poison affect, and more damage intolerance than most."

"If you hide, you'll just worry about us. So, you should snipe. Or warn us. I'll build a watchtower. Get the rest of the team ready. If they know squids like I do, then they'd better hurry." Skylar ordered.

"What's this about squids?" Chimney asked, as both he and Cupquake ran up to us.

"Skylar said squids are attacking," I said simply.

"We'd better get ready, then," Cupquake said, and the pair ran off.

"What's so bad about squids?" Amber asked.

"Squids are normally harmless," Emmy explained. "They always have been. But lately, they've been attacking most towns, normally the ones by the ocean. It must be because they're trying to draw TeamCrafted out into a beach town to defend them."

"Or to get Skylar," Amber added, her face set. "Even though Skylar left a pretty bad first impression, she deserves to live a life the way she wants, not fighting enemies all the time."

"Amber," Emmy groaned, "you know it was because she stopped you from attacking Nooch."

"There you are!" Seto said as he ran to my side. "Did you hear about the attack?"

"Skylar was with us," Emmy said. "She's Sky's girlfriend."

"Good," Seto nodded. "Watch out, usually squids get some creepers involved."

"How do you know about the creepers?" I asked.

"I was a part of TeamCrafted," Seto shrugged. "Sky was constantly fighting them."

"You were?" Amber asked incredulously.

"I knew Sky had a girlfriend, but I didn't know who it was," Seto nodded.

"What are we doing her, just idling? We need to get ready!" Amber hurried. Seto pulled me in the direction of my house, while Amber and Emmy went a different way.

Once we were in the house, Seto handed me a bow and some iron armor. "Here," he said, suiting me up by himself. "You'll be fine. Skylar has your watchtower set up, and don't worry, she promised to make it pretty later."

"Where will you be?" I asked, my voice cracking in nervousness.

"Fighting with the rest," Seto said seriously. He was so calm and gentle, it was hard to see him as a fighter. Nearly everyone but Cupquake, Bodil, and Simon seemed like fighters. I even knew Emmy often fought, because of the scars on her arms.

"Be... Be careful, okay?" I asked.

"Only if you are," Seto said.

"I will, I promise," I said quietly. Suddenly, Seto swooped in and planted a kiss on my lips. While it was brief, fireworks shot up and I found myself wanting more when we broke apart. He gave me a nervous, guilty smile before leaving hurriedly, nearly hitting Skylar in the process.

"What was that about?" She asked.

"N-Nothing," I stammered, my cheeks red.

Skylar laughed but still grabbed my arm and dragged me outside. "Whatever you say," she said teasingly. "Here's the watchtower." It was a large cobblestone tower with a double door system to prevent monsters, and ladders up the inside. "Not the prettiest, but I promise to make it look pretty later."

"It's fine," I assured. "Am I prepared?"

Skylar looked me over. "You're good," she said. "I left a few stacks of arrows and a few bows up there, along with some iron swords."

"Okay," I said nervously. This is my first fight. Before, I was just stuck inside. This time, I'll fight.

"You're going to be great!" Skyler cheered, punching me repeatedly.

"Ow ow ow ow ow!" I shrieked as my hearts dropped. "Don't do that!"

Skyler immediately stopped, but I continued to take damage. "What's happening?"

I coughed. "Hold on," I gasped out. After a few moments, my hearts stopped dropping, and I ate some bread. "I'm fine now, see?"

"You weren't kidding," Skylar said, her face a bit pale.

I shrugged. "I'm going up the tower." When I reached the top, however, I turned around. "Skylar?" I called down the ladders.

"Yeah?" she replied, energetic and ecstatic again.

"You ready to fight?" I gave her a confident smile.

Skylar smirked. "I was born ready." And with that, she left me alone in the tower. I grabbed a bow and two stacks of arrows from the chest.

Let's do this.

-----

Sorry it's late! I had Midterms and projects and school in general.

Who's ready for the battle chapter?

NerissaMoon