Chapter 1: Waking Up

I struggled to open my eyes. When I did, I found myself laying on a bed in a nurse's office, staring at the ceiling. Slowly, I sat up and immediately felt a sharp pain in the back of my head. I couldn't figure out why. Then I saw him.

Him just happened to be the very attractive boy pacing back and forth at the foot of the bed. He had short brown hair. The guy looked over at me and his soft brown eyes seemed to light up. He was definitely physically fit. When he smiled at me, he looked friendly and very fond of me. I felt like I should recognize him, but I couldn't.

"Hey, Zoey. Glad you woke up. How are you feeling?" he sat down next to me.

"Uh.... My head hurts. But who are you?" I moved away from him slightly.

"I'm Michael, your boyfriend. You don't remember me?" he had a look of shock and disbelief on his face.

"No. I'm sorry." I replied.

"This isn't some sort of practical joke, is it?" Michael asked me.

"No. I don't think so." I stood up.

"Please, try to remember." Michael grabbed my hand.

"I'll try. I promise." I started to walk out.

Before I had completely left the nurse's office, I heard Michael whisper something. I couldn't quite make out what he said. Looking back at him, I searched my brain for any memories of us. I didn't come up with anything.

When I exited to nurse's office, people immediately surrounded me. They were all asking if I was okay.

"I'm fine." I told everyone as I maneuvered my way out of the crowd.

As more people approached me, I ran from them and ran into a gymnasium. It was still set up from a volleyball game and there were a couple volleyballs just laying around. I decided to fool around with the volleyballs to see if I would remember anything.

I practiced for a little while, thinking about Michael and what he said. I was so lost in thought that I didn't notice that Michael came into the gym and was watching me.

"Remember anything yet?" he startled me.

"Huh?" I accidentally spiked the ball at him and it hit Michael in the stomach.

"Ugh!" Michael grunted.

"I'm so sorry!" I ran toward him and helped him up.

"It's fine. I've been hit harder." Michael held onto my hand.

"Okay. Thank goodness. But no. I don't remember anything. I wish that I could though." I confessed.

"I wish that too. I wish that you could remember all of the fun things we did together." he squeezed my hand and looked into my eyes.

"M-me too." I leaned against the wall and slid down so that I was siting on the floor.

"Zoey. Are you sure that you're okay?" he sat down next to me.

"No. I'm not. I want to remember everything about you and everyone else, but I can't." That's when I felt the tears spill out over my eyelashes.

Michael never said anything. He just pulled me close to him and let me cry. I cried until my eyes were bloodshot & puffy and I felt like I couldn't cry anymore tears.

"Thanks for being here for me, Michael." I wiped my eyes and looked up at him.

"Anytime, Zoey." he replied and smiled at me.

I got up and left the gym for home. I needed some time alone to think about my lost memories. I dared to hope that they would come back soon.