Chapter 10: State Championships

One month later, we were ready for the state championship game. I was super excited. We were at our peak of playing. Even though I couldn't remember anything, I was really proud of the team.

"Ok. I'm really proud of you girls." I motivated them.

"Thanks, Zoey. That means a lot coming from you." Cassandra smiled.

"Just go out there and have fun. Don't forget to kick the other team's butt. Hands in." The rest of the team put their hands in.

"1...2...3... Leopards!" I yelled.

We shook hands with the opposite team and went to our starting positions. I played right back and served that ball over. The other team missed the ball and we got a point from an ace.

They passed the ball under the net to me. I bounced the ball a couple of tunes before overhand serving it over the net.

It went over and the opposing team spiked the ball to our middle back, Cassandra. She passed it to our setter, Alexis, and Alexis set it over the net by accident. The other team hit the ball 4 times, so we got the point.

The game continued until both teams had won a single match. It was the final serve of the last match. I bounced the ball nervously. If I missed this serve, the other team got closer to winning. I took a deep breath and served. Luckily, the ball made it to the other side of the net.

As the outside hitter spiked the volleyball, time seemed to slow down. I saw the ball come toward me and my body reacted. I ran forward and just as the volleyball made contact with my forearms, all of my memories came flooding back to me.

I saw my first date, meeting Mackenzie, and having fun with my friends. Everything just came back to me in an instant and them time resumed.

The ball was passed to Alexis and soon it went flying onto the ground on the other team's side. That was the last point that we needed.

We had just won the girls volleyball state championships.

The team surrounded me in a hug and carried me on their shoulders as I held the trophy high. They put me down and I set the trophy on a table.

"Michael!!!" I screamed and ran toward him.

"Zoey?" He ran down from the bleachers.

I smiled and tackled him with a hug. He wasn't prepared fort that and I fell on top of him.

"I remember. I remember everything. Everything about you, us, my friends, my family! Everything!" I smiled.

"Great." He smiled.

I leaned down and kissed him. Despite me being really sweaty, Michael kissed me back. Everything was perfect. I had my memories back. Michael and I were a regular couple again. Plus so much more.

I knew that I wouldn't be the player I used to be before my accident, but I could learn to live with it.