Chapter 5: Our Second First Date

Michael picked me up around sunset and we went to a nearby lake. He pulled out a big blanket and a picnic basket. I sat down on the blanket and Michael pulled out a bunch of food. I picked at some strawberries and looked out into the sunset.

"Are you feeling okay? You seem.... Distant." He grabbed my hand.

"Uh... Sort of. I just feel confused." I sighed.

"It will be fine. I promise." Michael pulled me close to him.

"Please. Don't make me empty promises." I leaned against him.

"It's not an empty promise, Zoey." He kissed the top of my head.

"Thanks for the lovely lake-side picnic." I said.

"I thought you would like it." Michael replied.

He took one of the strawberries and popped it in my mouth. I chewed it and swallowed. Then I took a grape and did the same to him. A full out food fight started and I ended up with food in my hair & in places food shouldn't be.

"Ugh. I'm filthy." I tried to pull grapes out of my top.

"Ok. Let's clean off then." Michael smirked at me.

"What do you mean by that? You wanna fetch the grapes?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Uh... No." He shook his head.

To answer my other question, Michael stood up and picked me up bridal style. He ran into the water with me laughing & screaming. When we were waist deep into the lake, Michael simply dropped me into the ice cold water. I gasped and came up. Sticking my tongue out playfully at him, I splashed Michael with water.

Michael and I acted like 5 year olds but it was super fun. Once we were soaked and kinda tired, Michael and I stood a foot apart. It had started to get dark and there was a full moon that night.

I looked up at Michael and smiled. He smiled back at me and leaned down. I didn't know what he was thinking until his soft lips pressed against mine. I kissed him back and we didn't stop until a cloud passed over the moon.

"A kiss on a first date?" I teased him, breathless.

"Wow. That's exactly what you said the first time. I feel like this could truly be our first date." Michael was breathless too.

"I should probably get home soon. Zach will wonder what we've been up to." I walked out of the lake and Michael followed me.

We walked to my house, barely talking. When I got home, I smiled and kissed Michael good night. While I took a shower (and emptied my shirt of grapes), I thought about my "first" date.

It was one of the best nights I had ever experienced.