Chapter 1

Dedicated to Cataclysm for making the perfect story ad I now use on discussions!

"People protect what they love." 

-Jacques Cousteau  

Define: Cat/dog hybrid

A human who has been genetically altered before birth to have animal like characteristics. i;e: cat/dog ears and a tail, cat/dog tendencies like purring, growling, fear of water, etc. Seen as a lower class than humans. 

A handsome, but scrappy cat-hybrid curled up in a cage at the pound. He was folded into a ball, arms wrapped around his legs. His normally silky tail was matted and tucked around him. The hair on his head was in vast need of a brushing, and his cat ears were pressed firmly to his head. He wore a tattered gray shirt and sweatpants, which were the only clothes available to him. 

 "Wake up, you filthy animal." A man jostled the cage door roughly, glaring in at him. The boy looked up, green eyes icy.

"I have a name," the boy growled, glaring right back. 

 "How am I supposed to know that?" the man fumed. 

 "I've been here for three months and my name's posted on the cage door." The boy sighed irritably. Its not like the man would even bother calling him by his name. 

 The man read the name tag slowly. "Theo," he muttered, opening the cage door, tossing in a cup of water and a pan of food. The water sloshed over the rim of the cup, making a puddle in the bottom of his cage. The man sauntered off, leaving Theo grimacing. He gulped down what was left of the water, and bit into a piece of stale bread. Either they couldn't afford proper food for the pound's occupants, or they didn't give a damn. Probably both. 

 There was a folded piece of paper in the food pan. He cocked his head curiously, unfolding the note. 

  Theo dear, 

I added a (fresher) piece of bread to your food pan. Last time I saw you, you were so thin. I overheard the humans talking, they said someone was interested in adopting you. I pray for the best, love. 

-Liza

 Liza, the dog-hybrid that worked in the "kitchen." She was always kind to the other hybrids, and would share bits of adoption news and extra food whenever she could. He smiled, folding the note and pocketing it. He finished the food quickly, going back over the note in his head. He nearly choked on his last piece of bread, realizing the chance of adoption. He'd never experienced a nice owner before. 

 He ran his fingers over his neck, skimming over the collar scars. Lacerations marring his otherwise perfect skin. They were a constant reminder that he was a 'bad cat' and needed to be collared, leashed and punished. 

 He withdrew timidly into the back of the cage as the man returned with a fresh pair of clothes and a brush. "Its your lucky day, Leo." 

 "Theo,"  he corrected, gratefully hopping from the cage when the man opened it. He stretched, arching his back. 

 "A man named James has opted to adopt you." The worker gave a devious smile. "I hope you have fun being a little sex toy." He pushed Theo in the direction of the bathroom, instructing him to get dressed and look pretty. Or in the term he used; F*ckable.

 Theo took his time, slowly combing his tawny hair, washing his face in the sink, scrubbing everything else down with a soapy washrag. He changed into the clothes given to him; a tight pair of jeans and a Walking Dead t-shirt that seemed fairly new. Maybe they were desperate to give him to someone permanently. It wasn't something he'd wear everyday, maybe something more fancy. But you can't go wrong with clean clothes. 

 He exited the bathroom, looking prim and slightly clean. He could use a nice, warm bath. The worker man was waiting for him, a devilish smile on his scruffy face. "This way, fuchsia puff." He sneered, herding him through a door and into the lobby. A tall man with glasses stood with a leash and collar in hand. He had cropped brown and an insane amount of facial hair. Theo shuddered, spotting the leash and collar. He tried to back up, ramming into the worker. The worker pushed him forward roughly, handing James the cat-boy's info and adoption forms. James tossed the info at Theo, mumbling, "Hold that, cat." 

 Theo glared, and turned his attention to his information.

 Name: Theo Ray Jennings

Species: Cat-hybrid

Gender: Male

Age: 16

Eye color: green

Fur color: Brown

 The form went on and on, giving weight, height, etc. Theo backed away to the reception desk, resting his head on the cool glass separating people from the receptionist. Warm tears streamed down his face, turning his cheeks red and blotchy. His eyes never left the collar and leash in the man's hand. He squeezed his eyes shut, lashing his tail. There was a soft knock on the glass, making him jump. He looked through the glass to find Liza peering back at him. 

 "Wipe your tears, love." She spoke through the holes in the glass made especially for communicating. His breath came in shaky rasps, and he raised an arm to wipe the salty tears from his cheeks. "Hold your chin high, show them you're strong and they can't break you." 

 "Liza," he sobbed, more tears streaming down his face. Liza reached through the gap in the glass used to pass papers back and forth, and took his hand in hers. "I don't wanna go with him." 

 "Shh, honey. I will always be here for you. If he gives you any problems at all, find a police officer or find your way back here." Liza rubbed his arm, giving him a sad look. 

 Suddenly, she twitched her ears, and Theo noticed they were pointy and German Shepard-like. She turned her head to the couple of men and growled, and let go of Theo's hand. James grabbed Theo by the arm, slapping the collar around his neck and leashing him. "Okay, cat. You're coming home with me." He tugged roughly at the leash, leading Theo in the direction of the door. Theo looked helplessly back at Liza. 

 Liza motioned to hold his chin high, tears streaming down her face. "Be fearless, love." She mouthed, touching her fingers to the glass in a goodbye.