Chapter 5

A/N: Chapter five is dedicate to my friend Annie for giving me the general idea of the end of the chapter. 

"I dreamed of you. I dreamed you were wandering in the dark, and so was I. We found each other. We found each other in the dark."

-The Green Mile, Stephen King

 Theo woke with a start, a rush of panic sweeping over him as he didn't recognize his surroundings. Sick realization hit him like a train as he remembered where he was. He noticed he had tossed off the blanket during the night, and his lower back ached from sleeping on the floor. 

 From the lack of light and noise in the house, he figured James wasn't awake yet. 'Ugh, I have to fix him breakfast.' Theo thought, getting to his feet, legs feeling like jelly. He shakily walked into the kitchen, looking around for any edible food. There was a loaf of bread on the counter that he hoped wasn't stale, and what looked like a dusty can of coffee beans. 

 After more milling around he found a rusty toaster tucked away in the cupboard, and a newer looking coffee maker on top of the refrigerator. With little effort he had a piping cup of coffee set out on the table, and two pieces of toast on the way. It was a meager breakfast, but James would have to deal with it. 

 There was a thunk against the screen door, and Theo popped his head curiously out of the kitchen, ears flicking. He slowly made his way to the door, opening it and looking out. There was a newspaper at the foot of the door, and a paper boy wheeling down the street on his bike. He scooped the paper up, and sat it on the kitchen table with James' breakfast. 

 He waited impatiently in the kitchen for James to wake up. A few minutes later the man was stumbling through the makeshift door, half-awake. He looked around, eyes scanning his breakfast laid out on the table, then landed on Theo. "What do you think you're doing at the table?" he asked. 

 "Sitting?" Theo replied, puzzled.

 "No animals at the table! Do you want your punishment doubled?" James growled, grabbing Theo's arm and tossing him out of the chair. He landed on the tiled floor, grimacing. "You're to stay on the floor," James spat, before exiting into another room. He returned moments later with a paddle. One that would be used to correct unruly school children. Theo blanched at the sight, swallowing nervously. 

 "S-Sir," he stuttered, knowing all too well what was coming. 

 "You've been a bad cat. I can't have bad cats. Bend over," James ordered. Theo shakily bent over, closing his eyes. James brought the paddle down on his bum, making Theo wail. He did this six more times before he stopped and put the paddle away. Theo was teary eyed, and his breathing was in short gasps as he held back his urge to cry. 

 James turned his attention to his lukewarm coffee and cold toast. He grumbled something, taking the coffee and newspaper and leaving the toast. He disappeared into the living room, leaving Theo alone on the floor. 

 Theo rubbed his bottom in pain, chewing at his lip. Not only did his ass hurt, but he had to stay on this nasty floor. He had to hold back the bombarding thoughts of what could have been on this floor. 'Why me?' he thought helplessly, sticking his head out of the kitchen. James wasn't in sight, so he got on two feet, going back over to his sleeping spot. 

 Curling up, he tried to get some proper sleep. He ignored the ache in his back and bum and closed his eyes. He was on the brink of sleep when he heard an enraged James yell. His head shot up, ears twitching. He followed James' voice, not bothering to get on all fours. He followed it through a door and down some stairs. He wasn't aware these kinds of house had basements, but evidently this one did. 

 He found himself in a room that had shaggy carpeting and gawdy yellow walls, similar to the couch color. Seriously, who decorated this man's house? James was standing by a couch and recliner, newspaper in one hand and a fist full of someone's shirt in the other. 

 A terrified looking blonde boy was on his tiptoes in front of James as the man had hold of his shirt. There was a girl behind him, who seemed a little older. Theo recognized the boy from somewhere, but he wasn't sure where. He searched his mind in vain for any memory of him. 

 The boy tried smiling and apologizing to James for whatever he did. And that's when Theo remembered. His back went ramrod straight, eyes wide. This was the boy from his dream.