Chapter 6

"You're not crazy, you're just lonely, and loneliness is a hell of a drug."

-John Mayer

 Jacques was frozen in fear, eyes wide. He swallowed nervously, chuckling dryly. "Uh, aha. It's a long story?" he replied, making the man in front of him even more angry. 

"Don't you get smart with me, boy. I already get enough sass from that stupid cat of mine." The man spat, pulling Jacques to his feet by the front of his shirt. Jacques was on his tiptoes, eye-to-eye with the guy, now. "Who are you and what are you doing in my house?" He asked sternly. 

'Think, Jacques. Think! He can't know that you ran away. Can't know your real name.' Jacques thought frantically. "I'm, uh. I'm Louis and this is my girlfriend, Tara. We were hitchhiking and a dog chased us over your fence. It was cold and we were desperate and your basement window just happened to be open..." He managed to make up, biting his lip. 'Please be stupid enough to buy it.' 

The man stared at him blankly, an angry frown still on his face. He didn't look convinced.

"I'm sorry, sir. It's not like we make a habit of bunking in people's basements." Jacques gave a forced smile. The grip on his shirt tightened, and Jacques could feel the man's fist pressed into the hollow of his neck. 

"Give me on good reason I shouldn't call the police. Or better yet, kill you right here," the man sneered. 

"Sir, that won't be necce-" Jacques began, but was cut off as a tiny voice squeaked from behind his assailant. 

"J-James, put h-him down," the voice stuttered. Jacques peered over James' shoulder, seeing a frail looking boy with an angry look on his face. His ears were pinned back against his head and his tail was lashing furiously. His green eyes were a mix of fear, anger, and...awe? Jacques exhaled heavily as the weight on his neck was lifted when James turned his attention to the boy. 

"F*cking great. Why are you down here? Why aren't you on your knees, ya little shit? Do you want another beating?" James growled. 

"I'm not on my knees because I'm not an animal!" Theo spat. "I'm not a house pet, I'm a person just like you. Convicted felons get more respect than me!" His tail bushed out. Jacques took the opportunity to kick James in a place where no man would want to be kicked. James doubled over, grunting in pain. Jacques grabbed Marcie's hand, pulling her along. He looked at Theo who was watching James recover himself. 

"You coming or not?" Jacques asked, eyes shifting over to James as well. Theo gave a vigorous nod, leading them up the stairs. He stumbled around the couch, tossing open the screen door. Jacques and Marcie rocketed out the door, Theo close behind. He gave one last disgusted look back over his shoulder at the house, turning up his nose and jogging after the pair of strangers. 

Jacuqes looked over his shoulder curiously, the boy from the house was following after them like he thought he would. He released Marcie's hand, hanging back to talk to Theo. They had ran from the main roads and sidewalks, cutting into an alleyway. "What's your name?" Jacques asked curiously. 

"Theo," the cat-boy replied shyly.

"I'm Jacques, this is Marcie." He motioned to the blonde scouting ahead. Theo cocked his head in question. "I gave him a fake name back there so he couldn't give my real name to the authorities." Jacques smiled, answering Theo's unspoken question. 

"Oh." Was all Theo had to say.

They slowed their pace, walking between a building and a fence. It would be hard to find them in the labyrinth of intertwining alleys. Jacques bumped Theo's shoulder accidentally, making the cat-boy flinch away. Jacques frowned at him. "Hey, hey. I'm not gonna hurt you," Jacques soothed, reaching to pat Theo on the shoulder. He withdrew his hand, thinking better of it. He didn't want to scare him. 

Theo relaxed a little, but keeping his distance from Jacques. He walked with his tail hanging, looking down at the ground. Jacques worried he'd leave as soon as he could, being left to fend for himself. He didn't want that for anyone. 

Morning slowly faded to afternoon, painting the town a golden color. Theo's stomach let out a loud growl, making the boy blush heavily and duck his head. Jacques chuckled, smiling at Theo. None of them had eaten since the previous night. Jacques dug around in his back pocket, fishing out some money. "We can eat at a diner or somewhere. Stop by a gas station maybe. We have to eat fast, though. Don't want to draw attention." 

Marcie had stopped walking, hanging back to listen to his idea. Her mouth was watering at the mention of food. "Oh, Jacques. Can we? I'm really hungry," she pleaded, sounding like a six year old begging for candy. Although she was the oldest, she didn't act it.

"I'd like that, too," Theo agreed quietly. 

They worked their way out of the alleys and onto a sidewalk. They were on a street that had a few businesses here and there, but mostly tall abandoned apartment buildings. There was a small diner nestled between a hardware store and a skeevy looking smoke shop.

They went into the diner, pausing as a few people at booths turned to look at who walked in. Theo shuffled awkwardly behind Marcie has Jacques looked for a booth. There was one in the far corner that looked like it hadn't been cleaned off yet. The light above the booth was flickering, making it nauseating to look at for a length of time. At least they would't be there long. 

They sat down, Jacques thinking it best if Marcie sat by Theo instead of him. He'd probably feel more comfortable with another hybrid than a human. A bored looking waitress came by and gave them all menus and took their drink orders. After ordering a Pepsi and deciding on his meal, Jacques to the time to study Theo.

He had thick brown hair and bangs that swooped down over one eye. His cat ears had little dots of white at the tips, and little tufts of fur at the top like a bobcat. His eyes were a mossy green, dark and vibrant. He had a faint splash of freckles along his cheeks and nose, and perfect cheek bones. Theo looked up from his menu at Jacques, and Jacques held his gaze for a moment before looking away. Theo flicked an ear curiously before turning back to his menu. 

The waitress came back with their drinks, and took their order. She sauntered off to the kitchen, leaving them to their conversation.

"You're probably wondering why we were in that man's basement." Jacques directed the comment towards Theo. 

"Sorta." 

"We'd just ran away the night before. We couldn't find a place to sleep, and it was cold. his basement was the first suitable place we found," he explained in short. 

 Theo decided not to ask why they had ran away. "I'd just been adopted. It was my first morning there and he'd already threatened to kill me the night before, and beat me that morning." Theo provided his side of the story as well. Jacques looked at him with a pained expression, reaching across the table and grabbing Theo's hand where it rested by his drink. 

"Nobody deserves that kind of life," was all he said, before giving Theo's hand a reassuring squeeze and letting go.

Theo gave him a small smile. "Thanks." He mused under his breath. Jacques nodded, turning his head as the waitress came back again with three hamburgers and some fries. They all ate heartily, laughing as they tossed around a few jokes. Jacques was just in the middle of finishing off his french fries when he noticed something.

He paled, clenching his jaw. Beside the kitchen door, there was a cork board. Tacked onto it was a missing poster, complete with a picture of his face and name. 'How did he spread the word so fast?' he thought desperately. 

"Guys, we have to go. Now.