Chapter 2

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." 

-Dolly Parton  

A tall boy stood staring out his window. He was blonde, blue eyed, and gorgeous. You could tell just by looking at him he was a pampered, private school, rich kid. But he wasn't a hoity-toity, stick up his ass, brat. If anything, he was a respectful gentleman with a dashing personality. He didn't think he was better than anyone or thing, and treated everyone with respect. 

 There was a soft knock on the door, and a curly headed woman popped her head in. "Jacques, dinner time." She smiled. "I fixed your favorite." 

 "Marcie, you work too hard to please me." Jacques smiled back, following the woman out of the room. "I need to talk my parents into giving you a day off." He bumped her fondly with his shoulder. 

 "Oh no, no! That won't be necessary, Jacques." Marcie laid back her ears, shaking her head vigorously. "I'm as happy as I can be being your family's maid."

 "Don't be silly, Marcie. Even the best maid needs a vacation day." He sat down at the dinner table, helping himself to the seafood that was set out. He patted the seat next to him, offering the dog-hybrid some food.

 "You're too kind, young master. It's not my lunch break yet..." Marcie stuttered.

 "Oh, come on, Marcie. Let loose a little, would you? My father won't find out." He pleaded. Marcie hesitantly sat down, and Jacques pushed a plate of shrimp to her. She happily ate, thanking him graciously between bites. In his opinion, Jacques thought Marcie was being malnourished. So, anytime he got the chance he would slip her some food.

His father was a very opinionated man, and thought that humans were the greatest things on Earth, better than all. He treated hybrids as slaves, and normal animals even worse. Marcie was lucky she even got breaks. His father wasn't hesitant when it came to punishing, either. Marcie had one too many bruises to show for the man's unrequited wrath. Jacques even bore a few of his own.

 Jacques and Marcie carried on a happy conversation, joking, and laughing loudly. The blonde dog-hybrid relished the times when it was only her and the young master. He was kind, unlike his brute father. When his father was home, he'd have her working from dusk till dawn, working her delicate hands to the bone. But when it was just her and Jacques, things were more laid back. They'd spend time together; she figured the boy was lonely. He would help her with her duties, making sure they were all done by the time his father came home. If it was cold, he'd come into her bedroom, which wasn't more than a linen closet, and give her an extra blanket. She'd dread the day the boy would move out.

 There was a sound of a door closing and then footsteps. Jacques and Marcie didn't hear the noise over their raucous conversation. A well-dressed man came into the dining room, pausing when he saw the two at the table. His face turned an angry red, and a vein bulged in his forehead. He sucked in his breath, preparing to launch into a yell.

 Jacques froze, jaw dropped open and eyes wide. He barely had time to prepare himself for the incoming yelling fit. "Jacques Oliver Monroe! What the hell is that mutt doing at the table!?" the man yelled, glaring at the blonde headed woman. He took pleasure in seeing Marcie shrink away, drop her eyes, and lay her droopy ears back. 

 Jacques looked at his father in shock, speechless. "You need to learn your place in this household, you little mutt." He came across the room, standing over her. He raised his hand, and Jacques closed his eyes. There was a loud smack and a high pitched yelp. When he opened his eyes his father was staring at him. Marcie was teary eyed, red blossoming on her cheek. His father had been wearing rings, and had smacked her hard enough to draw blood. She raised her hand and clutched her cheek, letting out a shaky breath. Out of reflex he grabbed her other hand and squeezed it. 

 His dad stared disgustedly down at their clasped hands. "I was okay with that whole gay thing, Jacques. But now your fondness for these creatures, I just won't have it. If you spend all your life treating them equally, hanging around with them, no one will want to hire you." He pulled Jacques hand away from Marcie's, avoiding touching her hand like she had the plague. "We're getting rid of the maid tomorrow. Say your goodbyes, she's going back to the pound." His dad turned up his nose and left. There was the abrupt sound of a door slamming and the start of a car engine. 

 Jacques enveloped Marcie in a tight hug. She had turned into a weeping heap, sobs racking her body. "I'm sorry, Marcie. I'm so, so sorry," Jacques blubbered, trying to comfort her. 

 "It's not your fault, Jacques," She managed through sobs, tail drooping. But he knew it was. He couldn't live with that guilt. 

 "I'll get you back, I swear, Marcie. I swear, I won't let you stay there again." He hugged her tighter. An idea popped in his head. "I know!" he proclaimed, looking Marcie in the eye. 

 "Know what?" 

 "We'll run away."