Chapter 7

"I'll be whatever you want. You just tell me what you want, and I'm gonna be that for you." 

-Noah, The Notebook  

Theo was still apprehensive of the two strangers. He wasn't entirely sure he could trust any human, and the girl seemed to like the boy too much. But when they went into the restaurant, he had the chance to get to know them a little better. 

He chatted happily with Marcie, exchanging stories and jokes. He could feel Jacques staring at him, but chose to ignore it. He looked up at him once, when he caught the boy watching him. Jacques had returned his gaze before looking away almost shyly. He flicked an ear, wondering what exactly was going on through his head. 

They had just gotten their food and Theo was sharing his memory of when Liza pranked the worker man at the pound by putting a large amount of hot peppers in his lunch one time. He was sipping noisily at his Coke when Jacques froze and said, "Guys, we have to go. Now." Theo followed his line of sight, seeing the missing child poster. Now he understood why. 

Theo followed Jacques and Marcie as they bustled out of the diner, leaving the money on the table. Jacques had slipped behind the counter and took the poster down before they left. Now, he was angrily clutching it in his hand. Theo watched him as his eyes blurred, angry tears welling in his eyes. Marcie was watching with her tail tucked between her legs. Theo felt the strong urge to hug him, it would be a meaningful gesture since Theo was still acting shy. 

Instead he came up beside him and put his hand on his shoulder, gently squeezing it. Jacques looked over at him, giving a half smile and sighing. "We better go," Theo said softly, hand moving down to his arm and tugging. He nodded, following Theo as he too up the role of leader. He reluctantly ventured through alleys, eventually finding an open door that led into the first floor of an abandoned apartment building. Jacques looked at him in question, and Marcie was sniffing around the entrance. 

"You need time to cool off, y-y'know." Theo bit his lip, looking into the building. 

"Thanks, Theo." Jacques gave him a genuine smile, touching Theo's arm gently before going through the door. Marcie was sitting on a musky couch, wrinkling her nose at the smell. Jacques sat on the floor, back against a wall, head back. Theo sat on the floor across from him, sitting cross legged. 

He looked him over. His otherwise blue eyes were puffy and bloodshot from crying. His cheeks were a rosy red color, and there was a thin scar running across his jaw. He had beautiful blonde hair, shaggy yet perfectly trimmed at the same time. His lips were set in a frown, and his nose was scrunched in distaste, much like Marcie's. Theo sighed, running a hand through his own hair, losing himself deep in thought. 

He jerked out of his daze as a choked sob came from the direction of Jacques. The boy had broke out into a crying fit. Theo scrabbled over to his side, a concerned look on his face. "Hey, it's okay. It'll be okay." he soothed, rubbing Jacques' back. Jacques sniffed and sobbed, turning and hugging Theo. He buried his head into his shoulder, dampening Theo's shirt with tears. Theo froze, not knowing what to do. So he awkwardly rubbed and patted his back, looking over at Marcie every so often, who was watching in what looked like amusement. 

"Sorry," Jacques mumbled through Theo's shoulder. "I just--I just need someone to hold onto for a little." 

"It's okay." Theo held him closer, resting his chin on his back. They sat there, embracing, for what felt like hours. Jacques' sobs turned into fitful breathing, and eventually evened out. His breath became measured, and his grip on Theo loosened a tad. Theo looked curiously down at him. 'Did he-- did he just fall asleep!?'  Theo looked back up at Marcie, then back to him. 'What do I do?' he mouthed to her. 

"Let him sleep." She smiled, mouthing back. Devious girl. 

He huffed, gently shifting to where he was most comfortable and not in an awkward position. His eyes lazily drifted close, and he fell into a peaceful sleep. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, as they say.

----

He woke later to Jacques shifting in his grasp. Jacques' eyes fluttered open, looking up at him. His face reddened, and for once, Theo wasn't the embarrassed one. Theo smiled down at him,  chuckling. Jacques awkwardly detached himself from Theo, looking everywhere but at him. 

"Uh, sorry about that," Jacques said, twiddling his thumbs. "I didn't expect myself to fall asleep so easily." He rubbed the back of his head, face red.

"Don't worry about it." Theo went back to his quiet self, cheeks turning a light pink. 

Both their heads whipped around at a loud growling noise. Marcie was sprawled out on the couch, mouth open. She was snoring loudly, arms twitching. Occasionally barking or growling. her inner dog was showing through. The two had to hold back fits of laughter, clasping their hands over their mouths. 

It was short lived. There was a thump from a floor up. Theo's tail puffed out, making him jump. "W-what was t-that?" he spluttered.

"Maybe just an animal?" Jacques suggested, but there was something running down the stairs down the hall. 

Marcie was awake now, looking around. Her eyes were droopy, hair tousled. "What'sh goin' on?" she slurred, still not fully awake. Jacques motioned to be quiet, tensing as the noise got louder.

"Hide," he whispered urgently, fleeing to hide behind a very bushy fake tree. Theo took refuge under a table, and Marcie tucked herself under the space between the couch and floor, which was fairly big and hidden by the dust ruffle.

The footsteps grew louder, accompanied by more footsteps. The first set stopped in the room they were in. Whoever it was rocketed to the door, but before he got there there was a loud shout. Two more pairs of feet stomped into the room. There was a loud bang, and a thump. More shouting, and another shot. Another thump. 

Theo peered out from under the table, catching a glimpse of Marcie under the couch. He saw another person on the ground as well, blood welling around them. So much blood. his eyes shifted to Jacques' hiding spot. He couldn't see the boy, although he could see clearly behind the plant from where he was. He shifted his eyes back over to the body, and oh God.

Blonde hair.

And blood.

So much blood. 

'Please. Oh, God, please not him.'