Chapter 14

"I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end."

-Abraham Lincoln

Theo shifted uncomfortably in the leather seat of Mr. Monroe's car. He withdrew into Jacques' arms, staring wearily at the back of the man's head. Marcie was in the front seat, after insisting. She kept her lips drawn back in a snarl, watchful eyes on the suspicious man. "I don't like cars," Theo whispered, recalling the time James had brought him home. Jacques rubbed soothing circles in the small of Theo's back, murmuring in his ear that everything was going to be okay. Mr. Monroe looked into the rear view mirror, scowling at the two. 

The car continued smoothly down the road, an uncomfortable silence filling the vehicle. Theo watched the town pass by swiftly, cars and people speeding by in a blur. The scenery soon slowed to a stop, and Theo saw they were at a townhouse. Theo could see a figure moving behind the curtains. "Get out." Mr. Monroe commanded icily. The three teens scrambled from the car, leaving the man to wait on the curb. 

Once out of the car, Jacques put his arm around Theo's waist, pulling him to his side. Marcie trailed behind them as they mounted the steps. Jacques stopped at the door, hesitating before knocking. There was a clatter and hurried footsteps from the other side. Moments later, the door swung open, revealing a pretty woman. Theo's eyes widened in astonishment. She looked stunningly like Jacques. She had blonde hair and a bobbed haircut, and her eyes were a deep hazel color. They gave off a warm, friendly glow as she looked them over.

Theo's eyes traveled to the top of her head and he gasped. She had hybrid ears, fluffy, brown and white, dog ears. The woman looked them over, cocking her head, and Theo could feel Jacques tense beside him. She broke into a smile, and stepped forward to give Jacques a hug. "Mom." The word left Jacques mouth in a broken whisper as he let go of Theo and melted into his mother's arms. 

"Jac." The woman murmured over and over. They parted after what seemed like an eternity, looking into each other's tear filled eyes. "It's been six years," his mother said, biting her lip. "Look how you've grown." 

Jacques let out a breathy chuckle. "You don't look too bad, yourself." He grinned, earning a playful cuff on the arm. 

His mother's eyes shifted to Theo and Marcie, quirking an eyebrow. "And who might these fine people be?" she asked, offering a welcoming smile. 

"Mom, this is Marcie. She was our maid after you left." Jacques motioned to the grinning girl.

"Tsk, such a young one, too. To be working like that..." His mom frowned, shaking her head. 

"This is Theo...my boyfriend," Jacques said a little hesitantly, motioning to the timid boy who had reattached himself to Jacuqes' free arm. 

His mother's face softened, looking at Theo like she'd gained a new son. "Well isn't that lovely. Is he treating you good, Theo? He better be." She grinned, earning a vigorous nod and "Yes ma'am." from Theo. "Please, call me Denice, or Mom," she insisted, ushering them inside. The three eagerly stepped in, taking in the view. Everything was immaculately placed, fragile, and unique. "Would you care to tell me why you're here?" Denice asked, leading them into the living room and sitting down on the couch. She rubbed her hands over her jeans patiently, watching as they sat down, too.

"What, can't your son come to visit you without a hidden motive?" Jacques laughed, but it turned into a dry, humourless chuckle. "Mom, we have a problem," Jacques started, telling her mother the whole story of what had happened over the course of the past month. Her face turned grim, eyes shifting to glare out the window at Mr. Monroe's car. 

Denice's hand rested on Jacques' knee as he finished up the story. "I'm sorry I left you." She sounded broken hearted as she said it. "I couldn't stay with that man anymore. I would have taken you with me, I would have. But he wouldn't let me, he said no son of his was going to be raised by a hybrid.  He loved me at one point, I know he did. But over time, I don't know, he grew this hate for hybrids. He cut off all contact with his sister, for God's sake!" Denice ranted.