Chapter 4

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."

-Edgar Allan Poe

 Night slowly fell in the small town of  Fleet, the moon peering above the nice town houses. It cast a silvery glow across the white painted houses, giving off a magical feel. Jacques was climbing from his second story window, climbing down the trellis that was up the side of the house. They made it seem easy in movies, but in reality it was just plain hard. When he got to the bottom his hands were filled with splinters from the rotting wood. Marcie looked fearfully out of the window at him, eyes flicking to look at the trellis wearily. 

 "It's easy, Marcie. I'll help you down," he called up. "Just climb out onto the trellis, and imagine that you're climbing down a short ladder." She nodded, lofting herself out of the window and onto the wooden lattice, getting a sure footing before she continued downwards. She closed her eyes, slowly climbing down at a snail's pace. Jacques began to worry that his father would notice that they were gone. "Marcie, you need to at least try to hurry." 

 "I'm trying Jacques. I really a--" she started, but was cut off as she shrieked. Her foot caught on a vine and she fell. Jacques dove forward, catching Marcie right before she hit the ground. He stumbled backwards, falling on his ass with Marcie still in his arms. She had closed her eyes, quaking in fear. He chuckled, patting her head.

"You're okay, now," he said reassuringly. 

 "Oh my, that was quite a scare." Marcie's voice wavered a bit. "I'm glad I wasn' t wearing my dress." She had changed from the maid's uniform that her father made her wear into jeans and a t-shirt. The jeans now had a tear up the side, showing the dog-girl's right leg up to her knee. She whined in distaste, turning back to Jacques. She kissed him on the cheek, getting up onto her feet. "That's for saving me." She mused as she hurried out of the yard.

 Jacques snorted in amusement, following close behind. They made their way through the town, anxiously looking over their shoulders every so often. Some of the street lights flickered to life, casting a faint yellow glow on the sidewalk. They made a point to avoid the patches of light in case of someone seeing them and questioning why they were out so late at night. There was a chill in the air, nipping at their extremities. Marcie soon lost feeling in the tip of her nose and ears, and Jacques was working hard to keep feeling in his fingers. He mentally berated himself for not preparing properly. 

 "We should find somewhere to sleep," Marcie squeaked through closed teeth. 

 "I thoroughly agree." Jacques nodded, shuffling in the direction of someone's yard. Marcie reluctantly followed, her eyes shifting nervously around. While she wasn't looking she plowed into Jacques' back, yelping. He had stopped and was staring at the fence in front of him. "We gotta climb again." He frowned, jumping and grabbing onto the top of the fence. He lofted himself over, looking around at the yard on the other side. Once he was sure it was safe he called for Marcie to climb over. A second after she was scrambling over the top, but with much more ease than the last. She landed primly beside him, smiling. 

 Jacques turned his attention to the house, scanning around the bottom.  Marcie cocked her head in curiosity while she watched him. "What are you looking for?" she whispered, afraid the people that lived in the house would hear them and chase them away. 

 "Basement window," he replied, moving to peer around some shrubs. Sure enough, there was a small rectangular window. It was large enough to fit a person, and it led straight to the basement. Orange light filtered out of the small panes of glass, coming from inside. He lifted up on the window, easily sliding it open. He smiled, slipping through the window and landing with a soft thunk on the inside. Marcie followed suit, happy in the change of temperature. The basement was brightly lit, a small light bulb giving off more light than it looked like it could. The basement was carpeted, and looked like it was used as a rec room. Jacques led them over to the corner between a couch and a recliner. He withdrew into the space behind the couch, sitting down. Sleeping sitting up in a stranger's home was better than freezing to death outside. He pointed to behind the recliner. Marcie nodded and sat down behind it, content. 

 "Goodnight, Marcie," Jacques whispered as the frail blonde closed her eyes. She snorted in reply, slowly drifting to sleep. 

 Jacques watched her for a moment, then returned his attention to keeping watch. He had decided it was better he didn't sleep tonight. 

 Towards morning, Jacques had fallen asleep. His head had lolled to the side, mouth opened in an 'o' as he breathed. When he snapped awake, he looked immediately to see if Marcie was still where he left her. She was wide awake, curled tightly against the wall. She gave him a frown, motioning to the recliner. He slowly peered around the side, then pulled back his head swiftly. A man was sitting on the recliner, reading the paper and sipping coffee. He leaned the chair back, pressing against Marcie. She made a pained face, biting her lip in an attempt not to make a noise. 

 The man shifted his weight, the chair pressing back on Marcie even more. She let out a whine, slapping her hands over her mouth. The man stiffened, turning his head to look behind the chair. His face contorted in a confused expression, and he turned his head and spotted Jacques. He got up slowly, face turning red. 

 \"WHO THE HELL ARE YOU AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE?"