I want to be fought for

I wake up to something very strong wrapped around my waist. What the heck!? I move my hand down and discover it's an arm! Who's arm is it? Only then did I notice the tingles going up my arm and through my body. I relax, knowing it's Alex. Or is it Alex? I begin to breathe heavily at the realization that Caleb could be sleeping next to me. Could it be Caleb and he wants to apologize? I take a shaky breath and turn my head to see...

Alex.

Whew...

I sigh and feel my muscles relax. Unfortunately the relaxing didn't last long when I suddenly realize that there's a man in my bed! And he has his arms around me! I try to get out of his iron grip but unfortunately, I am very weak compared to him. Well, compared to anyone actually. As I struggle to get free, a whimper escapes my mouth, making Alex practically fly out of bed and in front of me protectively. After thoroughly scanning the room, he turns to me and brushes a stray hair out of my face.

"What happened princess? What's wrong?" He kneels down in front of me and holds both of my hands to his chest, which is bare!

Tell me I'm not naked! I glance down and see that I'm in a t-shirt and very baggy fleece pants. This is comfy! And yay! I'm not naked! Thank goodness! Alex rubs circles on my hand with his thumb, bringing me back to the situation at hand.

"I-I couldn't g-get out of y-your g-grip." I whisper nervously.

He chuckles and places a kiss on my forehead, making me shiver. My wolf yips in pleasure as the tingles rush through my body. I could get used to this. I smile slightly but it turns into a frown when I realize what's happened to me.

It's devastating how quickly and effortlessly I became dependent on someone. I can be independent and self-sufficient for months and years at a time, but as soon as I let my guard down with someone, I lose sight of everything else.

I can never let my guard down. I can never let my heart find a home because it'll always be taken away and I'll just have to pick up the shattered pieces of my heart and put it back together. I can't put my heart back together again. If it breaks again, I'll be empty because I can't fix it this time.

I can't love.

I can't be loved.

-------------------
  Alex's POV
-------------------

I can't get her to smile for more than a second. I can't stand her looking to sad. I need to see her happy again.

I kiss her forehead and then run my fingers through her silky hair. I feel her flinch at my touch which angers me. Someone has put their hands on my princess and hurt her enough for her to flinch at her mate's touch! I take a deep breath and try to calm myself down so I wasn't scare her.

"Breakfast is downstairs in the kitchen. Come down when you're ready princess." I say softly.

She nods slightly and stands up slowly from bed. She winces when she straightens her body which alarms me but I know what it's from. I've seen the purple bruises covering her soft skin. I look at her boney arms and see blue and purple blotches all over them, which makes my jaw clench tightly.

I'm gonna kill whoever did this to my mate. They're gonna die!

"Amberley, where did you get those bruises?" I say stiffly, trying to control my wolf.

Her eyes widen for a moment but quickly shrink back to normal size. She crosses her arms over her chest, trying to hide the bigger ones but I already know they're there.