Silence then the storm

Beep....beep...beep...beep....beep...beep...beep................beep..........................................

My head whips up to see the heart monitor flatline. No! No! This can't be happening! Why didn't I just leave and let Amberley be happy? She deserves that much.

I grab her cold hand and feel tears slide down my cheeks.

"Help! Someone help! Please! Help!" I yell then grip Amberley's hand tighter.

I can't lose her. If I do, there will be nothing in this world for me to live for. Nothing that I care about.

I hear muffled shouts from the other side of the hospital room door and I hear the doctor yell "Code Blue!".

The door flies open and the doctor runs in. A couple nurses grabs my arms and start pulling me away from my mate but I won't budge.

"I'm not leaving my mate! I'm not going to leave her side!" I say, trying to sound like an alpha, but ending up sounding weak and broken.

The nurses keep pushing me out of the room and every step I take back, feels like a dagger to my heart.

"Caleb, the longer we have to fight to get you out, the less chance we have to bring Amberley back."  One of the nurses said frantically.

With that I make myself leave the room without the nurses assistance. The door slams shut and then I hear the doctor start working. Feeling numb inside,I lean my back against the door and slide down onto the cold tiles of the hospital floor.

"Clear!"

"Still unresponsive."

"Charging...clear!"

I cover my ear every time I still hear the flatline. My numbness is wearing off and all I feel is pain. So much pain. My chest feels like it's imploding on itself and my heart doesn't feel like its beating anymore either. My heart has nothing left to beat for.

"Clear!"

"Beep beep beep beep beep beep"

I jump at the sound and almost break down the door trying to open it. I run inside to hear the steady beating of her heart and see  a very relived looking doctor.

"Get her stabilized." The doctor orders then leaves the room to face me.

I walk over to the doctor and frantically ask about Amberley.

"Is she going to be okay? What happened? When will she wake up?" I rush out.

The doctor sighs and rubs his sweat drenched forehead in exhaustion. I swear I could practically see white hairs multiplying in his already peppered brown hair.

"I don't know Caleb. I just don't..." he trails off and sighs deeply.

"You don't what? What?!" I almost yell.

"She lost a lot of blood but that's no reason for her to flatline. She's healthy considering her condition. It's her. She just doesn't want to live." He says frustratingly.

I stand there in shock and take in what the doctor said. She doesn't want to live. I lean against the wall and squeeze my eyes shut, trying not to cry.

"And Caleb...we took X-rays of her and it seems every single bone in her body has been broken more than once. A lot more than once. Some are quite mutilated. I'm surprised she can move without any pain. If she wakes up-"

I growl at the 'if'. There's no 'if'! It's 'when'!

"-I will need her to stay longer because some of her bones I need to re break and set right. Because even though she can heal quick, her bones for some reason didn't heal right." He finishes hesitantly.