I don't want you to understand

Caleb's POV

Did I just hear that right? As I was walking out of the office, I heard the girls talking and I caught the word 'rape' which made me stop in my tracks. Then I hear Amberley telling Kalina to just drop it.

Amberley was raped?! My mate was raped?!

Calm down Caleb. She's not your mate. She's Alex's mate.

You don't even know if she was raped.

Amberley turns around to see me, sorta in shock about what I just heard. I watch as her mouth opens and closes like a fish out of water then suddenly she bolts up the stairs. I was right. I don't follow her, just let her have space right now. No, instead I look over to Kalina who looks guilty, probably for ratting out Amberley by accident. She kept this from me. I growl at her, making her shake with fear. Better be scared.

Wait! What am I doing? Growling at my baby sister?

Realizing I'm letting my wolf take over, I stop growling and step away from her. She looks up at me with a tear streaked face and starts to cry. No, don't cry. I hate it when girls cry. I want so badly to comfort her but i have to confirm what I just heard about Amberley.

"What happened to Amberley?"my voice came out more demanding than I wanted.

"I can't tell you." She whispers.

"TELL ME NOW!" I scream at her.

She flinches back and stares at her feet. I could tell she was having a mental battle by her scrunched eyebrows. After a moment, Kalina growls in frustration and glares at me.

Ok! That changed fast!

"What do you think happened?! She was kidnapped by a bunch of male rogues and made a slave to care for there every need! You and I both know what those needs were!" Kalina snarls at me with anger radiating off of here.

I step away, surprised by her outburst. Then the pain of her words hit me like a ton of bricks, making me stumble back like I've been physically shoved.

Amberley was beaten and raped. And I didn't even notice...

Those words whirl around in my head until I feel like I couldn't stand anymore. I fall to my knees, staring into space. No. she's too sweet to deserve this. She's too kind and caring to have to feel every hit and slap she got. Amberley it too perfect to have her innocence painfully ripped away from her. not Amberley. Not my Amberley.

My Amberley.

MY Amberley.

She's mine. I need her.

And she needs me.

Without another thought I clumsily jump up and stumble up the stairs, toward her room. She needs me. She needs me. She needs me. That's the only thing running through my head as I near her bedroom door. As I'm about to go in, I hear her.

"I know better than trusting. I know better than living. I even know better than loving. So why do I keep doing it?" Her words were muffled by her loud sobs.

My heart clenches at her painful words. She's too scared to trust. She's too scared to live. She's even too scared to love. Because she's been broken too many times to be broken again. Tears slide down my cheeks and I let my hand rest on the oak door that separates my mate and I. Her sobs get worse which makes me want to run in there and hold her in my arms, but my wolf want to surface and claim her so no one will ever touch her again. Definitely can't let that happen! I clench my jaw and squeeze my eyes shut, trying to calm down. I feel my wolf claw for control but I don't let him.