Songs I Like

Yo.

Pete: Hello.

Roger: Hi, Shaz!

John: Look what the cat dragged in...

Lovely to see you too, Entwistle. Where's Moonie?

Keith: *bounds in screaming lyrics to "Smells Like Teen Spirit"*

John: I do belive we've found him.

Pete: What's he singing?

"Smells Like Teen Spirit".

Pete: Uh...

It's by Nirvana. Wait. Keith!

Roger: His music up pretty loud.

I hear. KEITH! *yanks his headphones off*

Keith: Hey!

We're talking to you.

Keith: About what?

Well, I'm "interviewing" you boys about songs I like. Favorite from my top three bands, to be exact.

John: Let's hear them.

Okay! First up, "In My Life" by the Beatles.

Pete: It's a very lovely song. Extremely well-written. It's so mature for the Beatles at that time. 1965, right? Rubber Soul

Correct.

Pete: Ah. It's good. Like a transition from teenyboppers to real men. The whole album, really. For us, the Who, as a up-and-coming band when that album was released... I kind of wish I had written those song!

Roger: The vocals are stellar. That's Lennon singing, right? His voice sounds so melodic. It's also got this sad quality to it, as if he's remembering a long lost friend or distant memories. I really like. Might have to try to sing it some time...

John: Simple. But complex. I can't explain it. The bassline sounds so reserved. It blends perfectly with the softer guitar riff there. God, this is beautiful. I'm almost crying. This should be better known as a Beatles song, if it's not. I'd say it's one of Lennon's best works.

Keith: The whole band sounds smooth and together. The others know how to back off and let John's singing be the focal point in this. Anything more overpowering would detract strongly from the overall effect. Ringo's handling on the drums fits the quietness of Paul's bass and George's guitar. The piano solo, I guess if you call it that, has the wonderful classical style to it. Was that George Martin or John playing it?

George Martin.

Keith: I see. He did an amazing job. He'll be missed.

He will.

John: You sounded like Pete for a minute, there, Keith. All serious and musical and such.

Keith: What better way to talk about a song, my dear boy?

John: That's more like the Keith we're familiar with.

Uh, yeah... Moving on. "Somebody to Love" by Queen.

Pete: Those harmonies are stellar. Freddie's lead vocals are so powerfully. It sounds gospel in a way. That's how it was intended, right?

Yeah.

Pete: They did it. And amazingly.

Roger: Oh, Freddie's voice is so much better than mine OR Robert's! He's the best vocalist of all time. Even though I'm pretty sure I'm just as good. No... Freddie's better. He is. And the back vocals are just as great. I wonder how many times they had to record over those. Probably a lot.

John: The bass carries the melody for a good deal of the song, right along with the piano. It's refreshing to hear, especially against the strong vocals. Ooh, the drums leading into the big operatic part are incredible.

Keith: I have to agree with John, there. The drums are powerful and controlled. The bass and piano hold that melody perfectly. The guitar accents, since that's what they are, fit with the song. It doesn't need a whole lot of guitar. That'd overpower and block out the best part, the drums!

And finally... Drum roll, please.

Keith: *drum roll*

I didn't mean literally, but thank you.

Keith: Anytime!

Anyways, the song... "Behind Blue Eyes" by the Who.

Pete: Oh, hell no! I'm not reacting to my own song!

Keith: I boycott this!

Roger: Hear, hear!

John: Maybe a different song?

I was joking, you know. The last song you're reacting to is "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Pete: Ooh! Lynyrd Skynyrd! They opened for us when we toured in the United States for Quadrophenia!

Roger: Oh, them! I loved their power on stage. Let's hear their recording.

Keith: I'm reacting first. It starts off without drums... But it doesn't need them right away. When they come in, they're fitted to song. Nice rhythm. I like it. The guitar is pretty great. I like it. The vocals are perfect for the song. I like this one.

John: I'll go now. I like the feel of the song. It's like a memory put to music. The guitar solo is amazing. Kind of like the riff and the vocals put together. I like the acoustic aspect of it. I'm not much for stuff that isn't harder rock, like what we play, but can we listen to this song again? 

Pete: This is nice. It's relaxing and yet still has that power I remember about them on stage. It tells a good story. It's like something I'd write, only I don't write this style of music, really. Lynyrd Skynyrd is probably one of the best, if not the best, southern rock groups ever to exist and by God, they deserve that title. I can see why you admire them so greatly. Oh, by the way, I outdid you in my reaction, Moon. I win.

Keith: Sod off. It's not a competition.

Roger: I love Ronnie's voice. It's so raw and smooth at the same time. It's very almost conversational, in a way. It's like he's telling the story and then deciding that it has to be sung, like a legend. "The Legend of Curtis Loew" doesn't roll off the tongue like "The Ballad of Curtis Loew", though. I don't really like the idea of singing in a southern rock style that well, but Lynyrd Skynyrd is good. This is a good song. I wouldn't mind listening now and then.

Well, that's all I've got for you boys today. I hope you enjoyed the songs I picked out for you to listen to.

Pete: They were lovely, Miss Shae.

Keith: Agreed. I liked that they were a little more relaxing than "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I am going out the same way I came in, though.

John: Cover your ears, the Loon's singing again. 

Keith: Sod off, Ox!

Roger: I particularly liked Queen's song, just because it was a bit more rock sounding than the others.

John: Same here. I prefer more rock songs but for southern rock and gospel rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Queen are good. The Beatles had a nice, sweet, mature ballad there. I enjoyed it.

Thank you for coming down and listening. I hope you enjoyed it and I hope you readers liked it as well! 

John: Yes, thank you, readers. 

Roger: We'll be back, what, next week?

Yeah. I'll try to update this on a weekly basis. Sound good?

Pete: Yes, indeed.

Keith: We'll be here.

John: Every week.

Roger: Hopefully!

Yeah, hopefully. Good bye, now!

Keith: Fare thee all well!

Pete: He means good bye.

Roger: I like fare thee all well better, Pete. Fare thee well!

John: Oh, great. TWO Shakespearean-type bandmates... Have a nice life, everyone.