Frederick Chase Pt. 2

Weren't expecting this, were ya? Disclaimer: Never again will I say ya. I hate the word. Also, this is like sevenish years after the last one, just so you know. Finally: 6K Reads has been achieved!!!

   Today was the day I would meet my granddaughter for the first time. I was incredibly excited.
   Annabeth, Percy, and their daughter, Sophia, were coming out to California for something and had decided to drop by. I hadn't seen Annabeth since that one time about seven years ago. She had tried to get Helen and I to meet Sophia, but we couldn't arrange a good time to do it.

   Helen and I were in our living room, her reading and me just sitting there. The doorbell rang. My heartbeat picked up a little in anticipation.

   "I'll get it," I said to Helen. I got off the couch and tried to casually walk and not run to the door.

   When I opened the door, I saw two people on the porch: A tall blonde woman and a little girl with pigtails gripping her hand. I hadn't seen her in years, but I assumed the woman was Annabeth even though she looked so different. What had happened to Percy?

   "Hi, dad," Annabeth said. I decided to outright give her a hug. She seemed startled but hugged back after a few seconds. "Sophie, say hi." She nudged the little girl.

   "Hi," she said shyly. I saw she was holding a stuffed owl in her other hand.

   "I'm sorry, she's shy," Annabeth apologized.

   "Where's Percy?" I asked. Were they divorced?

   (A/N: Behold, my answer to every question...) "Huh? Oh, A/N: Did you behold it?) he's meeting with somebody," she answered nonchalantly.

   "Can you guys come inside for a minute?" I asked.

   Annabeth checked her watch. "We have probably ten minutes," she replied.

   I sidestepped away from the door. The two walked in, Sophia still gripping Annabeth's hand.

   "Hi, Annabeth," Helen said, looking up from her book. Annabeth glanced at the title and seemed disappointed.

   "Hi, Helen," Annabeth replied, sitting down at the other end of the couch, Sophia climbing into her lap. Sophia started playing with her little grey owl.

   I sat down in an armchair across from the couch. "How have you guys been?" I addressed Annabeth.

   She looked up from watching Sophia with a little smile. "We've been good. A little busy, but good."

   "What grade are you in?" I asked Sophia.

   "First," she muttered.

   "Is it fun?"

   "I guess."

   Annabeth glanced at her watch. "Oh, we have to go. Sorry, dad," she said.

   "Try to come again soon," I replied, kind of sad.

   She gently pushed Sophia off her lap and got up herself, taking Sophia's hand. I realized it could've been her gripping Sophia's hand and not the other way around. They went out the door.

   That was a cold meeting.

And that was a decent ending, but I decided against my better judgement to add this little extra. Nothing in it will be important enough to have to read.

   Annabeth POV

   "How was that, Sophia?" I asked her when we were pulling out of the driveway.

   "I like Grandma better," she answered without skipping a beat, making her owl, Hedwig, (A/N: Annabeth read it to Sophia when she was three-ish. If you're going to complain, complain to the six year-old.) dance around on her lap.

   "You know what, Sophie?" I asked her.

   "What, momma?" she answered.

   "I think I do too."

Once again, suitable ending. But what the hell? Keep reading!

   She seemed slightly taken aback when I glanced back at her. "But she's daddy's mom!" Sophia said in slight amazement.

   "My dad basically kicked me out of his house when I was only seven. Just a little older than you. Grandma let me stay in her apartment for a whole year when I was seventeen." (A/N: idk, just go with the Annabeth-moves-in-with-Jacksons-for-last-year-of-High-School thing.) I answered.

   "Are you and daddy going to kick me out when I'm seven?" she whispered in slight horror. I pulled over to the side of the ride. Luckily we were still on my dad's street. I unbuckled my seatbelt and climbed over into the back seat. I grabbed Sophia in a hug.

   "No way in Hades is that ever going to happen."