Chapter 3

When I first joined the pack, many of the pack members weren't sure about me. Although they accepted the human mates of pack members, they didn't know what to think of me. I didn't have a mate from this pack. All they knew was I had a mate from another pack and Ryan gave me the option of joining theirs.

As Ryan said, I had to work to be in the pack. I started as a cook and when I wasn't cooking, I was learning how to fight.

In the pack, you had the right to fight anyone as long as you finished the fight. There was no punishment, that's how issues were solved. A person was only punished if they had no reason to start a fight with someone.

I learned how to fight and over the three years I had lived here, I had become an experienced fighter. I trained at any moment I could. I didn't want to be the weak human in a world of werewolves anymore.

I learned to push myself harder than anyone else in the pack because I was human. There were sometimes when I wanted to give up, but I knew that if I truly wanted to be a part of this pack I needed to be able to fight for them.

So, that was what I did. I learned how to fight a wolf as a human. I learned how to use a blade laced with wolfsbane and a gun with bullets dipped in wolfsbane.

I became one of the best fighters in the pack. Ryan finally let me start patrolling with the other less experienced fighters within the first year of me being here.

Everything was fine for a while. I trained, cooked, and patrolled the area when it was my turn. Until one day, I was out with three people patrolling the area when a group of six rogues came out of nowhere. We had no time to prepare, no one heard them coming.

The others shifted and started to fight. Except one of the wolves who stood there for a second with a glazed over expression. He was probably alerting the alpha and the other warriors.

I took my blade from my boot and stabbed a rogue that was about to jump on me. I aimed for his heart and killed him. At that moment I froze. It was different when you prepared to kill someone and actually doing it.

I stared at the wolf until I felt a pain in my arm. When I wasn't paying attention another wolf attacked me and sliced my arm open with its teeth.

I jumped away from the wolf grabbing another blade. I felt the blood dripping from my arm but ignored the pain as I turned and ran towards the wolf. I jumped on it and was going to stab it when he flung me off his back and into a tree.

I couldn't breathe for a second, but I got up when I saw him stalking towards me and stabbed him in his leg when he was within my reach causing him to collapse and howl in pain.

I looked around to see the others fighting the last rouges. As they finished him off, the alpha and warriors arrived along with the pack doctor. Everyone was fine other than a few cuts and bruises here and there.

"What the hell happened here? I thought you told me there weren't any rouge sightings." The alpha turned towards us demanding an answer as the pack doctor checked on the wolves before coming towards me.

"There wasn't any at the time we reported to you. They came out of no man's land and attacked us. There was a group of six," I replied when I looked around and no one made a move to answer him, making his head snap towards me.

"Okay," Ryan sighed as he calmed his wolf down. 

"I want you all to report to me the events that happened in your own point of view within the hour. You all are released from duty until tomorrow. "He said dismissing everyone.

As I stood up he turned towards me, "Except you. Doc will finish wrapping your arm up. When he's done I want you to come to my office."

He ordered another group of fighters to clean the bodies up. He stood there and stared at the scene for a moment before he started at me as if checking to make sure I was okay. He spent, what felt like a minute, scanning my body up and down before his eyes laid upon the damage of my arm. Then, without a word, he turned around and walked back towards the packed house.

The doc finished cleaning my arm and wrapping me up. I got up and walked to the alpha's office knowing he would want me there right away. I knocked on his door and entered when I heard a come in. As I stepped into his office, Ryan looked up from his work and stopped what he was doing.

"Sit Kathryn, I want to discuss something with you." He said motioning toward the chair in front of his desk.

"If this is about the rouge attacked..."

Ryan cut me off with a shake of his head," It's not."

"Then what is it about," I raised an eyebrow confused as to why I was here.

"I want you to be the head warrior of the pack alongside Victor, the current head warrior," Ryan said furiously without hesitation or doubt.