Chapter 22

In my dream I was happy, and that was the first hint to me that it was a dream.

I was sitting on a white porch drinking a cup of cold lemonade on a hot summer's day. I was taking sips of lemonade while watching two kids playing in the yard. I was laughing at the young girl and boy as they chased a little puppy around the back yard.

It was so beautiful; the yard was huge with a colorful garden, swing set, pond, and wrapping around it on three sides was a huge forest full of beautiful tall blossoming trees that seemed to touch the sky. The boy looked to be about four and the girl looked as if she had just turned two. They looked so much like me with brown hair and the brightest smiles on their faces.

I was sitting on the porch swing when I felt two hands cover my eyes. Behind me, I felt someone press against the swing. Reaching up I grabbed the person's hands and kissed them bringing their head to my lap and holding them as I watched our kids.

"They are so beautiful. They look so much like you." I said while watching our kids run around.

I felt you hum your agreement but you weren't really listening. You bent down and began sprinkling butterfly kisses on my neck and slowly moving up to my cheek. I turned around with my eyes closed in happiness and connected our lips. Our lips moved together in harmony until I pulled away. Slowly I opened my eyes to look at you and saw.....

I woke up in a cold sweat breathing heavily from that dream. I leaned forward with my hands on my thighs trying to catch my breath to calm myself down. I didn't know why but that dream left me unsettled and it shook me to the core.

Once I had calmed down and was able to think clearly, I immediately sat up shaking the dream out of the forefront of my mind. I glanced at my surroundings and was shaken again when I realized that I wasn't in the room that was given to me when I first got to the pack.

It was a larger room, probably the biggest one in the pack house. It looked like its own apartment. As I glanced around I noticed that it was an opened floor plan so I could practically see in every room. The place I was in had a kitchen, living room, bedroom, and two other doors that I was guessing were the closet and the bathroom.

I surveyed the room trying to find any clues on whose place I was in and how I got here. But as I looked around, I didn't find any answers to my questions. The place didn't have any photos that would tell me who owned this place. Most importantly my clothes were still on my body so it couldn't have been that either.

I was confused and wanted to leave as soon as possible. But when I got up I had the urge to pee, so I hurried over to the first door I saw and opened it. When I opened it I saw a closet full of men's clothing.

I would have explored it but I had more pressing matters to deal with like my need to pee. I quickly shut the door and ran to the other one. When I opened it and saw it was indeed the bathroom I let out a shout filled with relief and closed the door.

Once I was done doing my business, I washed my hands and did a little snooping. I opened up all the drawers and cabinets looking at everything that was in them. I found a pocket knife in one of the drawers and stuck it into the waistband of my pants, you never knew when you would need it.

I also found an extra new toothbrush still in its wrapper and used that to brush my teeth before closing all the things I opened. I took a look in the mirror once I was done with my investigation work and was shocked by what I saw.

There were bags under my eyes and tear stains on my cheeks. I reached up to touch one of the tear streaks and all the events from yesterday flashed back through my mind. They hit me like a tidal wave causing me to lean forward and grasp the counter like it was a lifeline.

I stared back at the mirror in front of me wondering who the girl staring back at me was. She wasn't the girl I was years ago, and she wasn't the girl I wanted to be. I was stuck in the middle, not knowing who I was and not being able to get to the girl I had wanted to be.

I closed my eyes wanting to forget for a moment. I just wanted to forget about the pain I was feeling right now. For just one moment, I wanted to be the little girl I once was daydreaming about with the perfect guy and the perfect life.

I looked around the bathroom looking for anything that could take the pain away for just one moment. But I found nothing that could take that kind of pain away, I couldn't find something to fight off the pain of a broken heart.

I was about to leave the bathroom but then a thought came in my mind. If someone had brought me here, the least I could do was take a bath. With that thought in mind, I started up the water and waited for the bath to be ready.