9

The heavy wooden door opened slowly, creaking as it did so. It was obviously old, as well as every other part of the building, however, the venue as one was beautifully designed, an assortment of colors bringing so much life to an already glamorous place.

Everyone stopped their talking, the door clicking as it shut, and there in front of it, the reason for its opening in the first place, stood Ashton Irwin and Caleb Harris.

The looks on the faces of his family weren't surprising to him at all. His mother's face held a look of shame, his father held an annoyed expression, Lauren smirked evilly, and Ryan looked unto him with an unreadable expression. It didn't matter, it was likely a negative look as well.

"Please, don't stop on our accord." Ashton stated, eyes scanning the room for empty chairs and a lost face. It was no use, however, there were two families, all sitting in a large room. He'd have better luck trying to find a needle in a haystack.

"There's a seating chart on the wall. Please memorize your seating location, as it won't be there tomorrow." Ashton's soon-to-be sister-in-law stated firmly.

Ashton turned on his heels, rolling his eyes as he did so. He didn't like her. She wasn't meant for his brother. He didn't know who exactly was, but he knew that it wasn't her. Perhaps that's why he didn't bother learning her name.

"You sit here. I sit there." The dark-skinned boy pointed out. Ashton's eyes scanned the poster and then he smiled. Luke was seated next to him. Perfect!

The younger Irwin brother walked in the direction of his seat, as labeled on the seating chart, but when he made it to the table, the happiness he thought he'd feel seeing his best friend face after not seeing him for weeks was replaced by confusion and disappointment, as he saw a beautiful Asian girl with beautiful, silky, black hair. She was gorgeous, he had to admit, however, she wasn't Luke.

"Excuse me," he whispered, trying not to draw anymore unwanted attention to himself. "You wouldn't happen to have seen a cute blond haired boy with a gorgeous smile, would you?"

The girl blushed, her cheeks instantly flushing red.

"You left out something." She stated. "He's also a great kisser."

"So you have seen hi - wait! What!?" Ashton was hurt. He'd never admit it, but no matter how many times he forced himself to believe his best friend went out and kissed random girls in order to forget their kiss, he hated actually believing it.

"He wanted my seat, so I bargained a kiss out of him." She stated, looking in the direction Caleb walked. It took him a few seconds, but eventually, he found Caleb through all of the other family members, and sat right next to him was Luke. His best friend.

He was there, just as Ashton thought he'd be, but he was no where near Ashton. But maybe that was the point. Luke didn't seem to want to be anywhere near Ashton. He hadn't stayed in their room, he didn't respond to Ashton's text, all of the curly haired boy's phone call went directly to voicemail, and now this. If Ashton didn't recognize one of his cousin along the mystery of strangers, he'd swear that Luke purposely sat with the bride's family just to avoid him.

Aside from the person talking, the only other sound in the room was Ashton's soft footsteps, and the beautifully heavy door shutting.  Once he was far enough away, he broke. The guilt and sadness he felt was a gigantic wave in an even larger ocean of regret, and he was just a small, amateur, surfer being tossed and thrown around by all of his feelings.

He'd like to think that he didn't know why it hurt so badly, why his heart hurt so badly. It wasn't the first time that Ashton and him had been apart because of a difference of opinion, but this was different. The tug at his heart, the anger-- the terrible desire to blot out everyone in the world.

It was happening again.

The door slowly creaked open, and a stampede of feet exited the room.

Looking to his right, the curly haired boy noticed his best friend. Luke was looking him directly in the eyes, and all Ashton wanted to do was run to him. He wanted nothing more than to just hug him, squeeze, and for the split second, the terrible thought of kissing him popped into his head.

And then he walked over and stood next to him, shuffling around awkwardly, with Ashton just sitting there next to him, both looking ahead.

The blonde haired boy sat down, scooting over closer to where their arms touched, and the curly haired boy rested his head on his best friend's shoulder.

They still had their problems, and Luke probably hadn't forgive his curly haired best friend, but he was there for him when he needed him.

"Babe, I've been looking everywhere for you?" Some stranger shouted a fair distance away. She was American, but she wasn't apart of the Irwin family, and Ashton was sure she wasn't invited to the wedding.

"I'll be out in a bit." Luke stated, and preceded to look down as she walked away.

It wasn't long before Ashton followed her path out the building, away from his best friend, a single tear sliding down his face.
.
.
.
"Ashton! Wait!" He called, now standing.

Ashton just stopped in his tracks, not caring enough to turn around, not wanting to look at him, to see him and not be able to hug him.

"What?" The curly-haired boy choked out, voice low and scratchy as he waited for his best friend to reply. He didn't, and Ashton just assumed he was looking at him with a confused expression, mouth constantly opening and closing as he tried desperately to find something to say.

The curly haired boy began to walk away once more, still not daring to look back.

"Please, just wait!" He stopped again, his back to his blonde-haired best friend. He wanted to forgive him, to tell him it was all alright, that he wasn't the one in fault. He wanted to blame it all on himself because it was all his fault. He asked for too much and jeopardized their friendship. Now there was barely even one left.

"I'll see you at the room?"  Luke finally got out.

Ashton just walked away, leaving him with no answer because to be perfectly honest, he wasn't sure if he would.