12

The room was dark, the only source of light coming from the moon shining into the room through the cracks of the long white blinds hanging down in front of the window. The two boys sat opposite each other, silently, just staring at the other's silhouette in the darkness of the hospital room, one in a chair, (the visitor) and the other in a bed (the patient).

The one in the chair cleared his throat, finally breaking the only slightly awkward silence, "how do you feel?"

The patient turned his throbbing head to the window, "like I've been hit by a bus" he smiled, and fell back onto the hospital bed slowly, "which, apparently, I have."

"Oh...yeah."

Once again, they were plunged into a world of silence, neither knowing what to say to the other, one because he was still suffering from a mild loss of memory, and the other out of sheer guilt.

He was the reason his best friend was in the hospital. It was a miracle that he hadn't broken any bones, and had survived the tragic incident with just a head injury. He might have not been enjoying the lack of sleep, but, it seemed better than death, so the patient complied, and the visitor remained just that- a visitor...a guilt infested visitor.

"So, how long do I have?" The boy asked from the bed.

The visitor looked up, pondering on the question. They hadn't yet given him his best friend's departure information.

"10 years? 2 years? 5?" The patient continued.

"5?"

"5 minutes?" The injured boy screamed, "I only have 5 minutes to live?"

The friend's face scrunched up in confusion, but before he could put his sad friend's mind at rest, the sound of the door opening filled their ears, followed by a sudden infiltration of light.

Ryan, his wife, and his best friend stood before them. "Luke, Ashton." They all greeted before having a seat.

The guy in the visitor's chair greeted them back, but the patient had no time. He'd only had 4 minutes left and he hadn't even thought about writing his will.

"Whatcha writing, bud?" Caleb asked, making his way to the bed to look at the paper, but all he saw was a mess of sloppy, rushed handwriting.

"Can't talk. About to die."

The three guest turned their heads to look at the guy in the visitor's chair. He just shrugged his shoulders and avoided all eye contact.

"Well slows down, pal, you're writing too fast. No one will be able to read it."

The patient stopped and looked at his will. It was a lot neater than it usually was.

"You can read this, right?" The patient asked, turning the paper around for the visitor to see.

I leave everything to the one person I'd give my life up for, my best friend for all time, the most important person in my life...

"Yeah." The visitor confirmed, swallowing the lump in his throat, "yeah, I can read it Luke."

Luke sighed, and looked back to the clock. He only had 2 minutes left, as laid back comfortably against the surprisingly comfortable bed, prepping for death. If he squinted hard enough, he could slightly see the blinding white light everyone foretold about death. Granted, it could have just been because he was staring at the ceiling.

"Well...if these are my last moments, I just want you all to know that, I couldn't have asked for better friends." A single tear slid from his eyes right as they fell shut.

Ashton smiled and walked over to the bed, leaning over the blonde haired best friend, "you aren't dying, Luke."

Nothing. There was no response. He didn't move, and Ashton couldn't tell if his chest was moving or not, as the mere thought of his best friend dying crossed his mind.

The curly haired boy's vision blurred as he lost his balance and fell over, knocking his head against edge of the bed side table. It didn't take long at all for his vision to go from blurry to black as he succumbed to the darkness.

"Wait. I'm not dying?"

-

Dear Readers,
Thanks so much for sticking with this story and being patient with me even when it takes me months to get you all an update. Sometimes I'm just not feeling it, some times I just don't know what to type, and other times I have no inspiration, and you guys give me a reason to continue writing, so thank you! All of you! Every last reader!
- _OnceUponTheEnd