Chapter Ten.

Minutes felt like hours to Chase and Adam. Soon the minutes turned to hours, which felt like days. They waited. That's all they could do. They wouldn't listen to the suggestions of their father and siblings to go get something to eat.

Chase had noticed Adam's change in personality when it came to you. He hadn't thought much of it, though. He simply thought that Adam actually treated someone with respect upon his own will, but he knew that Adam didn't do that. Adam was too dumb to know when to stop.

"Look, Adam," Chase started. "I know how you feel."

Adam looked at Chase with such speed that would make Bree jealous. "What? No, I don't," he denied.

"Just be honest, Adam. You at least owe me that," Chase responded.

Adam stood up in a fit of anger. "I don't owe you anything, Chase! And quit acting like everyone does."

Chase stood up. "Really? Because last I checked, you were upstaging me in everything! Even girls for a while! And now, the one girl who loves me, and who I love, you have to want. Adam, just this once, please stay out of it!"

"No, Chase!" Adam shouted. "I'm tired of it. I'm tired of all of this. Everything! I'm tired of you telling me where my limits lay and where they don't! I'm rather sick of you and Mr. Davenport, and everyone underestimating me! Believe in me for once, would you?"

"Adam, I do believe in you, but you've crossed the line, Adam-" A voice cut them off before they could continue their - rather petty - argument. 

"Would you please quit arguing and listen?" Kaz's voice reached their ears. They looked at the dark-haired boy. "Thank you. I have good news and bad news. Which would you like first?"

"The bad news, please," Chase said. "Just to get it over with."

Kaz sighed. "Well, the order of which they should go in a sensible manner is good then bad, so we're just going to do that," he said, and Chase rolled his eyes. "The good news is that your friend or, in nerd's case, girlfriend will live. The bad news is, she doesn't remember anything about her life besides her name, age, and the fact that she's bionic. I am sorry, but your friend is a blank slate. We can try to do things to jog her memory, but her brain is still in the healing process. Too much exertion of her brain may cause the wound to open again. The best option is to keep her here while the parts of her brain form back together into one and let us test that, or you can take her home and risk killing her."

Chase shook his head. "No, we're not killing her."

Kaz nodded. "Alright. I advise you to go home. We'll contact you if anything changes in her case, alright?"

Chase had already gone numb all over, but he kept his composure enough in order to not lash out and let Spike take over.

Adam, next to him, was rigid. His composure like that of a statue. His hands were clenched and Kaz was sure that he'd probably either turn into a statue, or he'd lash out at him.

Either way, Kaz went back into the room, mumbling something to himself about "Dangerous bionic people".

He looked down at the girl. Her head was bandaged up with a bandage that he had put on her, and she looked like she was sleeping peacefully. Kaz didn't know how painful having your brain torn apart was. Left from the right. Creativity from thought. He only knew that thinking was hard for him. At least if it was about anything other than comics.

Kaz left the room again, trying to find Horace.

"Kaz," said Chase's voice from behind him. Kaz turned around, finding Chase there, his eyes puffy and bloodshot. "Is there any way that I can just... see her before we head back home?"

Kaz nodded, turning around. He led Chase into the room.

And Chase broke down, but you were awake. You looked up at the boy with confusion.

"Who..." you asked, looking up at the boy. "Who are you?"

~~~

Sorry it was so short, but I wanted to update for Queen_Rume for her birthday. Happy birthday!

~Kat