Chapter Twelve

Chase's eyes felt heavy when he woke up on the balcony, shivering but dry from the sun above him. He was surprised that he hadn't woken up earlier from the bright sun that cast a bright blanket of warmth over him.

He sat up and looked at the watch on his wrist that was - luckily - waterproof. It wasn't like he had any place to be (the academy was on a holiday because of what happened to you), but he still had lesson plans to map out. The watch shined back 12:00 and the sun told him it was noon

Chase stood up and walked back inside. His bones were cold and his lips were chapped. Almost zombie-like, he trudged to the kitchen.

"Where in the state have you been!?" Adam admonished sharply as Chase poured some hot water into a kettle after turning the stove on high.

"On the balcony," Chase answered, turning around to look at Adam.

"You look horrible today." Adam glared Chase, "Did you spend all night out there? It was storming last night. You're going to get sick."

Chase rolled his eyes. "You're not the boss of me, Adam." His voice wasn't much more than a crackling voice that wasn't much louder than a whisper.

"I am your older brother!" Adam snapped. "You've got no business throwing your life away because you're upset."

"Why not?" Chase asked. "Why not? We should have had better safety measures in the academy. I was in charge of it after Sebastian."

"Whatever they used to get inside of our academy; we weren't expecting it. Quit beating yourself up! That's my job."

Chase cracked a smile, albeit false. "Yeah, you're right." Chase turned around again and looked in the cupboards, trying to find a mug and some tea bags. He found one with the hotel logo on it and some - much to Chase's dismay - lavender and vanilla green tea.

"We can visit her tomorrow," Adam said. "You know, give her time to recover a little bit."

He nodded as the kettle started to whistle.

Back in the hospital, you hadn't slept at all the entire night. You didn't know what those loud bangs and crashes and flashing lights had been.

However, you had remembered how to write your name. Tiny bits and pieces were slowly coming back to you. By sunrise that morning, you had remembered what that storm was called.

For half an hour, you thought about why you had just begun to remember things. How, as well.

You knew that you wouldn't remember everything, not yet. Once you had decided that it was the doing of your bionic chip, you were happy for the first time since you arrived there. Simple memories came into your head, just a dull pain in the back of it.

In the morning, you looked out at the tiny windows at the top of the ceiling. You couldn't see much, only a tiny little bit of grass and the sky. A little bit of what you forgot.

The names of colors were too fast when they barreled back into your mind. You held your head in pain the steady beeping of the heart machine picked up. Not wanting to bother anyone, you quickly calmed down, ignoring the pain in your head.

It was around (according to the clock that rested next to the TV) ten in the morning when someone came back inside your room.

Kaz was there, holding a tray of food. You readjusted yourself, moving your body upward so you were angled a little better. You tugged the platform intended to be a table in front of you.

"Sleep well?" he asked, putting the items of food in front of you. The meal consisted of two, round objects stacked on top of each other. They were fluffy and tan-colored. There was also a clear cup of some yellow liquid that smelled like oranges. A bowl of fruits rested next to a small pitcher of syrup.