Chapter Nineteen

Layla helped you adapt to Hawaii. She taught you parts of the language and bought you clothing, even though you implored that you didn't need it. The academy had crossed your mind often, but you liked the secrecy. You relished the peacefulness, and waking up and hearing the sound of waves just outside your window. Being able to dip your feet in the water and never have to worry about missions, saving the world, or being kidnapped.

One morning, Layla entered your room (her mother's office that doubled as a guest room) as you read a book and dropped a brick on you.

"Hey, (Y/n), can I come in?" she asked, sticking her head in the doorway.

"Yeah, sure," you answered, closing your book and sitting on the futon. "What about?"

Layla sat down on the edge of your bed. "My aunt just died, so we have to go back to Mission Creek for her funeral. We all love having you here, but we can't trust you to be here alone. My mom bought you a plane ticket. Congratulations, you're going to Mission Creek with us!"

Your smile dropped like a light.

"Wh-when?"

"Tomorrow. Pack a bag."

And with those words, Layla exited your room. 

And just like that, your dreams of a peaceful life were dashed.

~~~

After dinner that night, you sat in the surf, the water lapping at your ankles. By then the following day, you'd be back at the academy. When Adam, Bree, and Chase had come out as bionic, the world was against them strongly.

"Hey," Layla said, sitting next to you as your eyes stared at the sea. "You okay?"

You took a deep breath in. "I'm bionic," you said in one go.

Layla felt like someone punched her gut... hard.

"You're bionic? Just like Chase?!" Her voice rose. "This whole time, my family and I have been caring for you because you didn't want to go home?!"

You let a deep breath in. Then out. "Home isn't even home anymore! It's Hell!" You tore off one of your bandages, reopening the wound. "This was what I got because of my home. It's why I love being here. It's away from Hell."

Layla, despite her anger, shoved her hands into her pockets and retrieved an extra bandage. "You're an idiot, you know that right?!"

Layla patched your arm back up.

"I know, and I can't go through airport security metal detectors without being sent back to the hell-hole of an academy." You tucked your legs up to your chest and rested your chin on your knees.

"Why is the academy Hell?" asked Layla, furrowing her eyebrows.

"There's the constant kidnapping, occasional murder, memory loss, old enemies coming and going, and it's just... Hell. The only thing that makes it worth it is that I'm not considered a monster. To the people back at my home, I'm just (Y/n). That's all I need to be." You counted off the reasons on your fingers.

What you forgot was that the other thing making it worth something was Chase, but you couldn't tell Layla that. Not after Chase dumped her, and how temperamental she became.

"If you're bionic, is there any way you can just super speed to Mission Creek?"

Layla was onto something, but...

ENTER: YOUR BASHFULNESS AND HOW MUCH YOU HATE PEOPLE SPENDING COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF MONEY ON YOU.

"But your parents spent-"