Chapter Twenty-Four [Final]

Song for the part: Roots Before Branches - Lea Michele (Glee)

Layla visited you at the academy every once in a while, but not so much so that it was annoying. Chase, however, was being weird around you. He would walk away whenever you wanted to talk to him, for example. Adam wasn't much different. The only two people that you could speak to were Spin and Bob. Not to get you wrong; you liked hanging out withthen, but you were accustomed to having people your age to talk to.

It was raining again, and you were outside, having skipped out on your classes altogether. You didn't care. Why should you? It wasn't like it would help you any.

The rain hadn't let up at all, but you had no reason to go back inside.

"I knew I'd find you out here," said a voice behind you as the door to the academy thudded shut. It was Chase. You bit your lip and looked away, scared. Of what? You weren't sure.

"Hello, Chase," you said, your voice monotone and stoic.

He sat down next to you. "Look, I'm sorry for ignoring you this past week, it's just- I've been thinking."

You scoffed. "That's a shocker," came your sarcastic retort.

"Dear, God, (Y/n), look at me." He cupped your cheek to turn your head to look at him. Your eyes examined his closely, the hazel full of so much emotion that it startled you: love, and sadness, and mirth, and nostalgia. "I love you, you know this, but I think you should go with Layla for a while. To name a few, you'd be safer, you'd be with a family that loves you no matter what, and finally, you'd be happier, and that's the most important thing."

Your heart plummeted. "I don't think Layla would be comfortable with you coming."

"I wouldn't."

Your eyes widened. "Chase, don't tell me you're doing what I think you're doing because you'll break me."

"I realized something while you were gone. That I don't know anything about myself. And I need to find that before I can love you. Truly love you."

"No, Chase," you murmured. "Are you breaking up with me?" Tears started to well in your eyes. You looked down, begging the wetness not to fall.

His eyes looked into yours with a weight of regret. "I want you to return to Mission Creek with Layla the next time she comes. Douglas has created a device with the same properties as the capsules so you don't have any reason to return."

Sure, you were pissed at him for ignoring you, but you didn't want to leave.

"No, Chase, I'm not leaving here; l can't leave you!"

"This isn't a request, (Y/n), this is an order."

You felt tears fall. "I love you," you said, your hand moving up to cup his cheek.

"I know."

Your lips connected in a slow kiss that broke your heart into a million pieces with each stroke of his lips.

~*~

Layla had returned to the academy the following day. You had messaged her, telling her you wanted to live with her and her family permanently. She didn't ask why.

You packed a small suitcase since there were more clothes waiting for you in Hawaii. You gathered a few things that you wanted, as well as the capsule-esque thing that Douglas crafted for you. As you packed, you found one of Chase's old mission jackets. You had stuffed the old piece of zipping cloth into the bottom of your bag before going to say your farewells.

As Layla came back on the hydraloop, you sighed and walked up to her, greeting her with a hug. You asked her if you could say your goodbyes and she nodded.

You walked over to Spin and Bob, hunching your back enough to look them in the eyes.

"You two have been phenomenal friends. Especially you, Spin. You accepted me when you found out about my dirty little secret. I'll miss you both the most." You hugged them before walking up to Mister Davenport and Douglas.

You didn't say anything before you took Douglas into your arms, the grown man hugging you back. You and Douglas were never close, but you owed him something for being another great mentor. Mr. Davenport got a handshake.

You walked up to Bree, who had tears streaming down my cheeks. "I'm not crying because you're leaving, I'm crying because my ship sunk."

You didn't know about her conversation with Chase a few days ago. You trusted the girl you'd come to know like a sister.

You smiled at her before taking her in your arms. "I'll miss you too, Bree."

Finally, you turned to Adam and Chase.

You took something out of your pocket and placed it into the palm of Adam. You then hugged him and kissed him on the cheek. "Remember me by."

He nodded before you walked up to Chase. Your heart still stung at the edges from his break-up request.

"I love you," he said, his voice rough as he spoke around the know of words in his throat.

"I know."

You kissed him shortly before entering the hydraloop, this time with Layla and her parents.

And as you sped back to the mainland, you knew that the pain in your heart would leave eventually.

The pain left by a smart guy.

~~~

HEAR ME OUT BEFORE YOU KILL ME : THERE WILL BE A SEQUEL.

Okay.

I feel happy that this is over now because that gives me time between this and the sequel to write some new things.

That being said, I want to have a brief break from this story in order to breathe since life is deciding to be a giant butthole to me.

See you next time, kittens.

~Katp