Chapter Fourteen

You woke up in a comfortable bed that contrasted to both the capsules and the hospital bed. Opening your eyes, you felt a warm pair of arms embracing you. You leaned into the arms, their warmth inviting. You weren't sure why you felt so cold. Your face pressed into a hard chest, his lanky body pressing against yours. You didn't open your eyes. You kept them shut, not wanting to leave the feeling. It was so familiar, and you loved the feeling.

You buried your face deeper into the arms of the person holding you. You assumed it was Chase. It was just far too familiar for it to be someone you didn't feel comfortable holding you this close. Holding you this securely.

Things almost felt normal in his arms. Like your hotel room wasn't just raided and the healing scars on his chest weren't from a vase that had fallen on him after he slid across the room a mile too fast. Normal wasn't a word to describe you or him. Or Adam. Or Marcus. Okay, "normal" couldn't describe anyone you knew that you could remember at the time.

The soft sound of his breathing lulled you back to sleep.

~~~

Chase woke up before you, the feeling of you in his arms making him happy. He looked down at you, watching your closed eyes in a calm state. He hadn't seen you like that since the academy. He moved his hand up from your side and rested it on your cheek. His thumb ran across your cheek lightly and lovingly. A small smile appeared on his face, sincere and real.

To say that Chase was loved you would be an understatement.

He was deeper than deeply in love with you. He loved you more than his siblings.

He loved you more than he loved his bionics. Than his Supreme Court nomination.

His arm moved back down to your side. He had woken up not long after you had passed out. Adam had put you in Chase's bed, knowing that his brother would probably hate him again (they had the love-hate bro relationship) had Adam put you anywhere else. Adam just sat in a chair, waiting for you to wake up. Chase felt his chest tingle as he sat up. He felt the cloth of his shirt on his shoulders. It had been ripped open. Mostly-closed dents littered his chest. He put two and two together.

"Did she-"

"Yeah," Adam answered. "She did it and she was good at it. Calm and careful. Didn't overdo it or anything. Just enough."

"Then why is she unconscious?" Chase asked, leaning back only a bit so he rested his weight on his arms.

"Because, Chase, after sneaking out of a hospital," Adam explained. "And getting really confuzzled, and then using bionics, wouldn't you be tired?"

Chase bitterly looked at Adam. He was right. He'd gotten better at that. It almost bothered Chase: how well he had gotten at being right. It also bothered Chase with how much he had gotten serious and knew when to stop. It bothered Chase that Adam actually had a heart.

"Chase." Adam stood up. "Don't look at me like that. Please?"

Chase just clenched his jaw.

"You know what?" Adam's voice started getting louder. "You need to quit acting like a stupid, lovesick child and understand that she may never remember you again. Understand that she's like a ticking time bomb, ready to explode any single moment, and when she does, she's dead. You and her-- you'll never be the same again."

"And you're not going to swoop in and take her away," Chase said as he stood up.

"No, Chase," Adam said, "you don't get to say that. Not to me. Because you know what? Every single girl that one of us has been into has liked the other. It's only a matter of time before the same happens with (Y/n). In reality, it's only a matter of time before you break her heart and I'll be here to pick up the pieces."

"I'm not going to break her heart," Chase said, his eyes glaring.

Adam was slowly pacing toward Chase. "I said in a matter of time. Did you not hear me?"

"I did," Chase responded. "And I told you that I will never break her heart. And you keep that in mind, Adam." He looked down at Marcus, "Help me throw him out."

Adam nodded, though he was crying inside.

They got Marcus to a junkyard and put the dumpster on fire. It took them way longer than it should have since they were lugging a hunk of metal from one place to the next.

They watched the flames eat the skeleton of Marcus.

"Is it just me, or was he easier than normal?" Adam asked.

Chase shrugged. He liked how they could get into an argument, but, just minutes later, it'd all be fine and dandy again. It was always Chase that would linger on the arguments if you count out the time that they all quit the team. Well, Bree and Adam did. Chase never officially quit the team.

The sun was low in the sky as they made their way back to the hotel, nodding only once to the people who waved to them. It wasn't every day that a normal person would see two bionic teenagers walking down the street, miles upon miles away from their home on an island.

They entered their hotel room only to find that you were still asleep, peaceful on the bed where your head rested on the pillow, content. Content with where you were. Content with your health state. Content with the fact that you could tear your brain apart at any moment and no one could do anything to help you. Your bionics could help you, but they were working to strongly on healing your brain. That explained saving Chase was so taxing for you.

"We can't stay here longer," Adam stated, sitting on his mattress that was placed next to Chase's. He wasn't looking at Chase as he talked. His eyes were on you. "Our bionics will glitch again, and we can't have that happening."

Chase sat next to you, running his hand through your soft hair. "I know, but we don't know what our capsules will do to her if she goes inside of one. We can't risk it hurting more than helping."

"The capsules have regenerative properties," Adam said. "What if it helps more than hurts? Did you ever stop to think about that? Chase, I know you're grieving. I did too, but you've always been the idea guy. The one who would constantly be a smart-ass and we'd all hate. I used to be the idiot, strong guy who we'd all love. Now, I'm idea guy and you're just the person we all hate."

"She was the only one who didn't hate me. Ever," Chase whispered, looking solemnly at you. "I know," he projected, loud enough for Adam to hear. "And you make a point. You make a gosh-darn-- another freaking point. But we shouldn't take the risk. It's probably better for it to be natural with healing, Adam."

"And you make a pencil," Adam replied. Chase decided not to question it. "It is probably safer, but since when have you cared about safety? Mr. Avelanch."

They glared at each other before Adam turned the light out.

"Good night, Chase," he muttered before laying in his bed. Chase removed his shoes and laid in bed, bringing you into his arms.

~~~

Hello, my kittens!

Taking out that shameless self-promo lmao.

Love you all,

~Kat