Holding the Stars

It is amazing how fast time passes with Draco. The hours in class without him become longer and longer as we spend more and more time together. Every evening we both head to the common room after dinner where we do homework and talk. I have heard people, mostly girls, talking like crazy about what they think we are doing in our private little room. But they couldn't be more wrong. It is true that Draco spends every night curled up next to me, but nothing more than a tender kiss or innocent touch takes place. By Friday, we still turn heads when we walk around holding hands, or with his arm around my waist, but we are quickly becoming old news.

I can hardly contain my relief when my final class ends on Friday and I head down to dinner. But before I make it to the Great Hall, a hand whips out and grabs my arm, pulling me back into an alcove. A large shape locks me in place, with either hand pressed against the wall on either side of my head. For a moment, my heart begins to pound, but when I recognize the pale face and white blonde hair, I laugh shakily and stand on my tip toes for a moment, quickly touching my lips against Draco's.

"I scared you," he says with an evil glint in his eyes.

"You abducted me," I correct and his musical laughter fills the small space.

"I apologize, it was not my intention. I just wanted to ask you if you would have dinner with me tonight, seeing as it is the weekend," he asks, his gaze burning into mine, making it hard to breathe.

"Are you going to join me at the Gryffindor table?" I ask and he raises an eyebrow at me.

"Not likely. Actually, I wanted to take you somewhere. I already have the food and all that jazz ready. All I need is you," he says, placing his hand on my cheek and running his thumb over the skin just below my lip.

"Will it get us in trouble?" I ask, though I know it won't change my answer in the least.

"Not if we are quick and sneaky," he says.

He doesn't wait for my answer. Instead he grabs my hand and we slip out of the small alcove, across the deserted entrance hall and out the front door. To my surprise and trepidation, he leads me over to the broom shed where he grabs his Nimbus 2001.

"I am not a good flier," I tell him hesitantly.

"Its okay Hermione, I am," he tells me and swings his leg over the thin stick. He holds out a long fingered hand for me and I reluctantly fill it with my own. He pulls me close and sits me in front of him. It is hard to feel scared when his long, muscular arms are wrapped tight around me, holding me close.

The grounds are beautiful at this time of day. The sun is just beginning to set, casting a reddish glow over the huge area. The grey stone of the castle darkens until it is almost black. It is enough to take my breath away. I get a little worried as we begin to fly over the Forbidden Forest, our feet almost brushing the tips of the trees. I am just about to open my mouth and warn Draco of the many protective spells surrounding the border of Hogwarts to keep unwanted visitors out (and us in) but he quickly drops through a sudden opening in the tightly growing trees. I have to close my eyes as my stomach floats up to my throat, just like when you are on an elevator and it comes to a stop. But then out feet are on the ground and I open my eyes. I expected a blanket and some food on the grass, but I wasn't expecting the beautiful sight before me.

A large pond lays to one side of the clearing. Water spills into it from a small waterfall made of large boulders that rise to just over my height. A ring of tall, ancient trees enclose the space, casting an enchanting, fairy tale look to the place. In between us and the pond is the blanket I was expecting. It is the one off the back of the couch in our common room. It is spread over the surprisingly green grass with a pair of white tapered candles glowing in the center. The light from the candles spreads a warm glow over the space. Actually, now that I think of it, the air is quite warm as well. Nothing like the cold air and biting wind around the castle. In fact, it is more like a day in early May than an evening in late October.