Heat Rises

Nicola

I watch the whole scene from the tree line. No one even suspects I am there and I have a clear view and can hear every word. It takes everything I have not to shout with joy when I hear Hermione choose Ron. Satisfied with the events and the fact that my plan has worked perfectly, I leave the little love fest the way I came. I head straight back to the castle and to my room. I need to freshen up so I look my very best when I have to comfort Draco. I should hurry, he will be coming back any time, holding the shattered remains of his broken heart in his hands.

Hermione

I could see from the look on Ron's face that he knew he had won. He had no doubts as to whether I would pick him or Draco. But one look at Draco's miserable face tells me he also knows I will pick Ron, and it is tearing him up.

"I am so sorry Ron, for everything," I say, my voice rough from trying to control my emotions. I am not done, but Ron assumes I am and steps up to hug me. For just a moment, I let his arms squeeze me tight. I let him kiss my cheek and whisper in my ear, "I knew you would pick me." I just shake my head, put my hands on his chest and shove him firmly back until his arms slip from around me.

"Let me finish Ron. I am so sorry about this, about going behind your back. I should have told you the second it happened, but I didn't know how. But now that it is out, I don't want you to hold any false hope. I am not going to go back with you, I am going to stay here with Draco. Things have changed. I have changed. What we had, it won't work. I am sorry Ron, but I won't pretend, you deserve better than that," I tell him and every ounce of color fades from his face, leaving him pale and angry.

"You are choosing him over me?" he snaps, stepping back like I punched him in the gut.

"Yes Ron. I never wanted to hurt you, but you hurt me. All I wanted was to know that you thought about me as much as I thought about you. That you felt as alone as I did, but you didn't. You don't need me Ron, but Draco does. We are here, together, and that is how it is going to stay," I tell him.

"Fine Hermione. You will see that I am right. He is just playing you and you are buying right into it. And when he does finally show his true colors and breaks your heart, you will deserve it, every ounce of pain and humiliation you feel," says Ron and without another word, he turns in place and disapperates. For a moment, I just stand there, staring at the empty space he left behind. When a hand slips over my shoulder and turns me, I expect Draco, but it is Harry.

"Are you sure Hermione? This is really what you want?" he asks, and there is no condemnation or accusation in his voice. He just sounds like Harry.

"I am sure Harry, I know it doesn't make sense, but I am sure," I tell him. For a moment his green eyes shine, and then his face stiffens. He turns abruptly to face Draco, who is still standing a few feet away, looking dumbfounded. Ginny rushes to Harry's side and tries to hold him back, but he just whispers in her ear and kisses her cheek. After that she releases him and lets him close the final distance between the two boys.

"I don't know if you have really changed or not. But Hermione obviously believes you, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Just know, if you hurt her, if you break her heart, I will come back and I will find you, and I will hurt you. And I have been training with the Aurors, so I know some good spells that you will never recover from," says Harry with scary intensity.

"I would never hurt her Harry. I was telling the truth. I do love her," replies Draco, not shaken at all. At the end of his sentence, his eyes flicker over to me and they are so filled with emotion that my chest tightens and it is hard to breathe. When he focuses on Harry again, so do I. I am worried that Harry won't believe him, that they will fight. But my worry is pointless.