Schemes and Things

Draco

Nicola is like a seductive snake. In seconds she has her body weaved so tight around mine there is no hope for escape. The scent of her perfume is like a noose around my neck, chocking off my breath. Then her tongue is in my ear and I feel like retching. 

"I heard about you and Hermione. I'm so sorry baby. I knew she was a no good filthy mudblood," she breathes in my ear and instantly I am enraged. I can't believe I didn't realize that she had a hand in this from the very begining. Now, even at my worst, I have never hit a woman, but it takes all my restraint not to shove her away and curse her into oblivion. As it is, I do manage to grab a hold of my wand and cast a non-verbal spell, forcing her away and pinning her against the stone wall. She tries to grab her wand, but doesn't get the chance. I am a good wizard, much better than her, and I am mad. More than mad, I am enraged.

"Listen you filthy piece of pond scum," I begin, advancing slowly with my wand pointed straight at her chest. "If you ever do something like that again, if you even think of hurting Hermione or any other underhanded tricks, I will find you, and I will curse you with every bit of power I have until even your mother wouldn't recognize you. Not that she would mind I am sure. She would probably thank me." I can hear the fury in my voice and she obviously can too. Her heavily made up face blanches to a sickly white.

"I didn't have anything to do wi..." she begins, but with a wave of my wand, her voice is extinguished. 

"Don't bother lying. Just so you know, Hermione chose me. She wants to be with me and I will be with her and only her. And even if we do break up, which if there is anything in my power that I can do to stop it, I will, I'll never be with you. You are a vile, disgusting piece of dragon dung. I would rather be alone for the rest of my life than to be stuck with you another moment longer. Now, Hermione, the girl I love, is waiting for me, which you should be thankful for. Being with her is the only thing that I feel stronger about than staying here with you pinned to this wall for the rest of the night. Remember my warning, you won't get another one," I tell her and then with a final wave of my wand, she falls to the floor in a steaming heap. I turn and walk away.

"I don't give up that easy, one day, you will be mine," she shouts at my back. I don't even waste my time turning around. I head straight back to our room, grab our cloaks and turn right around to head back to Hogsmeade. Before I head to the Three Broomsticks, I have one more stop to make in town, and I walk in the door of the small, out of he way shop, smiling like a fool.

Hermione

It takes Draco longer than I expected to get back and when he does, it is obvious he is trying to hide a smile. I raise an eyebrow in question when he sits down, but he just leans over an brushes a quick kiss across my cheek. One hand slides into mine under the table, weaving his long fingers through mine. The other hand grips his butterbeer and he takes a long drink. Shrugging to myself, I just figure he will tell me what's up when he is ready. So we spend an hour at the Three Broomsticks talking. At first there is a light tension between Harry and Draco, but as they talk over Quidditch and Auror training and all sorts of boy stuff that isn't all that interesting, it quickly dissolves and the talk becomes easy and light. By the time we walk out into the cold evening, I wouldn't say they were friends, but they are at least well on their way.

We leave Ginny and Harry to say goodbye and start walking slowly up the road towards the school. Draco slides an arm over my shoulders and hugs me tight to his side. I wrap my arm around his waist. He is warm and solid next to me and for the moment, I am entirely content to just stay there, hugged to his side forever. But it is inevatable that the days events will finally sink in. Thank goodness it isn't until I am alone. We are back in our room. Draco is out on the couch waiting for me. I decided when we got back to come in and have a shower. It finally hits me, losing Ron. I know I made the right choice, and I would do it again every time. But Ron didn't deserve it. He is a good guy and never meant to hurt me. We just weren't meant to be together. So finally the tears begin to fall.