Meet the Parents

I wake up alone in the bed. That's weird. I know Draco was here when I fell asleep. Yawning, I roll out of bed to my feet. The floor is cool against my bare feet, but the rest of the house is already warming up. I look in the bathroom and the other rooms. All empty. I head down to the living room and hear some rustling in the kitchen. I pad through the living room into the kitchen where Draco is sitting at the table with a bowl of cereal and reading the Daily Prophet. He is still in his pajama pants and his hair is standing up on top of his head. He looks like a little kid trying to be like his daddy. He spins in his chair when I let out a small laugh.

"I didn't know you were up," he says smiling, his eyes shining.

"I just woke up. I'm not used to being in bed alone," I tell him, putting my hands on my hips and glaring at him.

"Oh shoot, I forgot. I'm sorry," he says instantly contrite. I can't hold the stern look, I break down laughing.

"I'm just kidding," I say, taking the seat next to him.

"Want some cereal?" he asks, handing me the box.

"Thanks." I grab a bowl and spoon and pour some breakfast. 

We eat breakfast in silence. He reads the paper and I grab a section and join him. There is nothing too gripping in the Prophet, so when my breakfast is done, I clean the bowl and kiss Draco on the cheek.

"I'm going to go up and have a shower. Its going to be an interesting day," I tell him.

"Alright, if you need someone to wash your back, I'm just a holler away," he says with a wink.

"I think I'll manage, but thanks," I laugh and head up to the bathroom.

Two hours later we are both showered and dressed. We apperate together and appear outside Gringotts in Diagon Alley. We walk hand in hand over to the Leaky Cauldron. When we walk in, Draco looks around and then smiles as his eyes fall on a table nestled in the corner. I look over and see his tall, pale mother folded into a chair sipping on a cup of tea.

"Are you ready for this?" he asks squeezing my hand lightly.

"As ready as I will be," I shrug but my heart is pounding and my palms are starting to sweat. Draco leans in and plants a quick kiss on my forehead and then pulls me toward the table.

"Morning mother," he says when we reach her table. She turns and stands. Surprising me, she pulls Draco into a hug and then, after only a small hesitation, she grabs my hand between both of hers and leans in to kiss first one cheek then the other.

"I'm so glad you came," she says releasing me and reclaiming her seat.

"I'm glad you came as well. I wasn't sure you would," says Draco sitting across from his mother. I take the seat next to him, feeling nervous and out of place.

"I told you I would. I have made up my mind Draco and I won't change it," she says firmly.

"And father? Is he still refusing to accept this?" he asks, his teeth clenched.

"Your father will come around. Just give him time," says his mother, her face, so similar to Draco's, tightening.

"I won't hold my breath. But let's not worry about that now. Mum, this is Hermione Granger. Hermione, this is my mother Narcissa," introduces Draco as if we have never met before.

"Its truely nice to see you again Hermione," says Mrs Malfoy kindly.

"You too Mrs Malfoy," I respond remembering my manners.

"Please, just call me Narcissa. After all, it looks like we are going to be family soon," she says nodding toward the ring glinting on my finger.

"Yes, I suppose we are," I say starting to relax when she is still smiling.