Chapter Sixteen

"What did you see exactly?" Braeden asks me, from where he is lying on the bed. I have been avoiding the topic ever since I got home, and Braeden has been patient with me. I can tell that he is worried, though.

Spitting out the toothpaste in my mouth, I rinse off my face before joining my mate in bed. He opens his arms up, allowing me to crawl over to him and rest my head on his chest. It is the most relaxing and comfortable place for me to lay, and Braeden seems to like it too if the way he hums and rubs behind my fox ears is any indication.

"I told you. It was gone. The room where I saw it before was empty and orderly as if someone had come along and tried to hide the fact that a mutant monster was being stored there."

"Could they possibly have found out that you went down there?" he questions, fingers sliding through my hair. "Maybe they decided to move it in case you got curious and tried to investigate further or something."

Tilting my head up just enough so that I can see his face, I raise a skeptical brow. Braeden's fingers stop their soothing motions on my ears as he stares down at me, a confused expression on his face.

"I'm not important enough for them to move their whole facility someplace else, just because I saw what they were up to. If anything, they could have just fired me from my job or transferred me to one of the other colonies."

Braeden's arm tightens around me when he hears the last part, pulling me closer to him as if he would be able to keep them from taking me by his sheer force of will. My hand runs along his torso, wrapping around his waist while snuggling further into his side. The fact that my mate is willing to fight for me, even when he wouldn't have a chance, makes a thrill of pleasure run through me. I would do the same for him.

Even if neither of us has said the words yet, everything we do and say reflects what neither of us has spoken aloud.

"There is nothing more we can do about it tonight," I say, placing a kiss onto Braeden's bare chest. Goosebumps appear on his skin from the sensation, causing a smile spreads across my face.

A distraction would be amazing right now, and neither of us has been able to get any alone time together. We are either at work or school, making it so that we are barely ever at home. And home isn't even relaxing anymore.

Most of my time at home is spent either trying to help Alex or studying for our upcoming finals. They start tomorrow, and honestly, passing them has been the last thing on my mind. The beast from before and the sudden appearance of Alex have made the last few weeks confusing and somewhat terrifying.

But right now, my mate is in bed with me, and neither of us has passed out from sheer exhaustion yet. This isn't something that I am about to waste when we haven't managed to have sex in weeks. Just the thought of being with him like that again causes a shiver of pleasure to run through me.

"You know," I say, placing another kiss on his chest. "We are all alone for the first time in weeks," I place a kiss along his shoulder, "and I think we should take advantage of it for once." My kisses trail from his shoulder up to his neck, getting sloppier as I go.

Braeden lets out a strangled moan, mumbling a quiet, "hell yes," before pulling me away from his neck and capturing my lips with his own.

Rolling the both of us over, Braeden ends up on top of me, his body a comfortable weight as he presses me into the bed. Our kisses become even more heated, his tongue running along mine. We only break apart to shed our clothes, each piece of clothing flying through the air as we try to get them off as fast as possible. Before I know it, we are both naked.

My mate's warm, naked skin feels amazing against mine. A moan slips from between my lips as he breaks his lips away from mine, instead leaving biting kisses as he slides down my body. There will definitely be some hickeys tomorrow, and the thought of having evidence of what we are doing on my body tomorrow makes my toes curl.