Chapter Twenty-One

Things have been eerily calm lately, no signs of the mutated hybrids and nothing out of the ordinary. It makes a feeling of unease settle down on me, since I know that something big is about to happen. What that big event will be, I have no idea, but I can feel the build up.

It is nearing the end of the summer, meaning that my examination for my doctor's license is in a couple days, and if I pass that exam, I will be able to participate in the Initiation Ceremony. It is nerve wracking, but I feel like I am ready for the test. I have spent all of my free time studying, making me feel prepared.

Sighing, I push myself up from the couch, needing to use the restroom again. My books are scattered on the coffee table in front of me, my notebooks flipped open as I read over my notes. There are so many of them that it takes me hours just to get through them.

Once I relieve myself, I walk into my bedroom, deciding that I need a break from studying, which means it is time to do some shopping for the baby. Braeden and I haven't really done too much to prepare for the baby, only checking out some pregnancy books from the library. But, today I am actually going to get some clothes and other essentials. There is actually some money in our account since my paycheck was deposited last night.

As quickly as a tired, pregnant person can, I change out of my sweats and a loose t-shirt that I had been wearing, and instead put on a pair of black paternity jeans, the kind that stretch over my belly, so that they aren't too uncomfortable. The only thing I do not really care for is that I have gained some weight with the pregnancy, which I was expecting. But I didn't expect for that weight to be around my hips. So now, my ass is more full, making my pants tighter than I usually like to wear them.

Braeden has been loving the changes in my body though, which makes a certain part of me preen. He likes to be the one who rubs my lotion on my belly to prevent stretch marks, and always takes his time, pressing kisses against my bump and whispering to the baby.

His love and excitement for our baby always make heat run through my body. As soon as he is done, I practically pounce on him, usually pushing him down on the bed so that I can ride him. It is the most comfortable way for us to have sex now, and I am definitely not complaining, and neither is Braeden, who seems to have taken a liking to holding onto my ass whenever he can.

Shaking my head, I try to clear my head of those thoughts, knowing that I can't do anything about the horniness building inside me since Braeden is still at work.

Oh well.

It doesn't take me too long to finish getting dressed, grabbing a random t-shirt from my dresser and slipping on a pair of converse. Grabbing my wallet, I slip it into my back pocket before walking out of my bedroom.

Quinn is just climbing up the stairs when he sees me, eyes squinted as he looks me over.

"Are you going somewhere?" he asks, hand running through his dark hair.

Rolling my eyes, I go to stand next to him, my hand pushing his away in order to fix his hair in a way where it doesn't look like it got hit by a windstorm.

"Don't get pissy," I say, looking over him to make sure he is properly dressed. He looks good, a tight gray shirt that emphasizes his bump and light blue jeans. "I was going to get some shopping for the baby done, and you should come with me."

Quinn seems to be mulling it over before finally nodding his head in agreement. "Alright, I need to get some things anyway." He walks beside me as we make our way to the front door. "You just want me to go with you so I can't eat the ice cream in the freezer."

"I don't know how many times I have to warn you to stay away from my ice cream," I say in exasperation. Quinn just cracks a smile while slipping on his shoes, grabbing his bag from the small table.