Chapter Thirty-Four

Being in the sanctuary is different, something that we have to adjust to. Most of the people here are friendly, a general mix of hybrids and humans. The place is run efficiently, yet people still have the freedom to do what they like. After hearing that I am a doctor, Althea asked me to work with her. I had quickly agreed, wanting to earn my keep.

It has worked out well. Althea is a quiet woman, only saying what she deems necessary. It is obvious that she is a well-respected member of the community, people waving at her when she passes them by and offering her a good morning. She is the one who helped to secure us a home.

The management committee tried to give us apartments on either side of the community, but Althea had talked them into allowing us to stay at the abandoned home next to hers. Apparently, no one has lived there in years, but it was still in good condition. The management committee had agreed, and we moved in the morning after Willow was born.

Braeden had gone over there when I was still resting, helping the others to clean everything up and to pick up the welcoming supplies from management. When I had woken up, Althea made me a hearty breakfast before helping me to walk over to our new home.

The house was adorable, a cute two story made from trees. I have never seen a home like it before, and I think that was what made me fall in love with it. That, and the fact that there is a porch on the back and the front.

Now, as I sit on the porch swing in front, I am able to watch as the snow falls, protected from the cold by the roof and several layers of blankets. It is early in the morning, the sun just starting to rise. The others are still sleeping and I wanted to get some fresh air.

Of course, Willow is with me. She is just like any other hybrid baby, loving to be near her parents. She gets upset if me or Braeden are not holding her, not settling until she is in one of our arms. The only way the others can hold her is if we wrap her in one of our shirts, our scents strong on the fabric.

Looking down, I see that Willow is still wide awake, bundled in multiple blankets as she nurses. She is a pretty quiet baby, content most of the time. She sleeps in short bursts but will stay quiet when awake, as long as she is near me or Braeden.

She lets out a heavy sigh, eyes blinking as she tries to stay awake. She is growing so much, and it makes something inside of me relax. I had been worried about her coming almost six weeks early. But, Althea has been monitoring her closely, having me bring her in for measurements every few days.

Now, she is three weeks old and has gained a pound since she was first born. She is starting to look less scrunchy too, more like a little person. Everything about her is tiny, from her upturned nose that she got from me to her itsy bitsy toes.

The door opens from the right of me, making me startle slightly in surprise. Quinn walks out of the house, two steaming mugs in his hands. His hair is still sleep mussed, so he must have just woken up. His belly is getting bigger too, now that he is a little over thirty weeks. Hopefully baby stays in there closer to her due date, though. We do not want to push our luck.

Quinn comes over to sit next to me, setting the mug on the table in front of us before lowering himself on the chair. He is quick to bundle under the blankets before grabbing the mugs, handing one to me and sipping on his own.

"How'd you sleep?" I ask after a few minutes, watching as Quinn fights to keep his eyes open. He has been having trouble getting much rest lately. Even though we have actual beds now and a warm house to sleep in, he has been having trouble getting comfortable. It doesn't help that baby has already dropped, adding more pressure on his hips.

"Mm, got a few hours," he murmurs, taking another sip of his tea. "But baby ended up falling asleep on my bladder, so I decided to get up."

"You can take a nap later on," I assure, reaching over to rub my fingers through his hair. He lets out a contented sound when I scratch beneath his fox ears, something that is a bit of a weakness.