Chapter Thirty-Five

The weeks have been passing quickly, the snow slowly receding until there is just a sprinkling of rain to remind us that it is still winter. People have slowly been trickling into the village, welcomed with open arms. It is clear to see that they are well known within the community, most of them having lived in their own houses a few miles away from the safety the fences offer.

Only two people have come from checkpoints, other than Rowan and his children. Their homes are close to the community, being the last checkpoints for different pathways. Radio calls have been coming in, the coded messages telling us of the few who are headed our way. Homes are being prepped for their arrival, and I know that everyone is anxiously waiting.

Dr. Greene last checked in a few days ago. I had recognized her voice over the radio, explaining that she is still a few weeks away, but that she has reached the first few checkpoints. Each one that she passes she is told to destroy so that the location of this community cannot be traced. She has been out there longer than others, giving them enough time to pass through.

Between caring for Willow and worrying about Dr. Greene, I have not been getting much rest lately. Ever observant, Althea has watched me come into her home every morning with knowing eyes. She hasn't been having me help her too much lately, and I feel guilty. But she always just makes me lay back down again when I try to get up from the couch. Until I take a quick nap, she says that I will be no help to her.

Willow has been growing like a weed, unknowing of the world around her. With every weekly appointment, she has been gaining weight. This morning she had her six-week appointment, and although she had not liked being set down in order to be weighed, she had been a perfect angel.

Braeden has taken to waking up with her in the middle of the night. She still wakes up every three hours on the dot, wanting to be changed, fed, and cuddled. Since she is sleeping in the bed with us- something that I am still not quite comfortable with- it is easy for me to nurse her after Braeden changes her diaper. She usually falls asleep when she is full, so Braeden just takes her from there, laying her across his chest because we both worry about rolling over her in the middle of the night.

Quinn has gotten moodier, too, as his pregnancy progresses. He has been uncomfortable, since baby dropped, and it is hard for him to get rest. Just the other day, I had caught him fast asleep, his stomach cradled by a few pillows as he laid face down on the carpet in the living room. We have tiptoed around the house for the entire afternoon, not wanting to risk waking the pregnant monster.

Besides, I do not think he is going to be pregnant for much longer. Althea has been doing weekly scans on him, and she says the baby is measuring bigger. Add in the fact that we spent a large amount of the pregnancy hiking hundreds of miles and baby has already dropped, it would be no surprise if baby decides to make her debut any day now.

Willow lets out a small cry from the little basket I started to use for her naps. I am trying to get her used to not needing me in order to sleep. Mainly because I have been getting very little sleep at night with her in the bed with us. I have read about too many horror stories of babies being smothered on accident in their parents' bed for me to get a full nights sleep with her in between us.

Walking over to the basket, a smile spreads across my face when Willow starts to kick her legs in excitement when she sees me. She is still so small, but it is exciting to see every new thing she learns.

She lets out little whines when I pick her up, and I immediately cradle her to my chest. Luckily, the room is kept warm by the fire Braeden had started before leaving for work early this morning. It makes it so that I don't cringe when I have to unbutton my shirt so that Willow can nurse.