Daerius

"Why the hell would you have to fight your ex-fiancé to the death?" I ask, completely confused.

"Because it's a sign of disrespect to interrupt a bond and the consequence of disrespect is a fight to the death," she growls furiously.

"You are a great fighter though, you have nothing to worry about," I shrug, trying to make it seem like nothing. I wipe the blood that is still running from my nose and wince at the pain.

"I'm a good fighter compared to wolves, but I am nothing compared to a warrior of the dragon guard!" She yells, shoving me back into the wall.

I stay silent, my face going emotionless as I try to look strong. "I hope you're underestimating yourself," I mutter.

"I'm not," she spits. "Now why the hell are you even here? Why would you even want to come?"

I stare at her. "Want to come? You fucking invited me!"

She looks confused for a moment but then pinches the bridge of her nose and lets out a low growl. "Adarath," she hisses angrily.

"What?"

She ignores me. "Take him back to his cell and tell my uncle I'd like to speak with him," she snaps to the guards.

They bow in respect and escort me back to the prison. They push me into my cell and I immediately sit down against the wall.

"Oh god, Daerius are you alright?" Angel gasps, reaching through the bars to examine my nose. I smack her hand away.

"What the hell happened up there? Is Lyza married?" She questions.

I shake my head. "No, right before they were bonded, I lost control and yelled and Lyza ended it," I tell her.

"What else happened to make you so upset?" She asks, seeing right through my façade.

"Apparently with dragon shifters, the punishment for interrupting a bonding ritual is a fight to the death in dragon form, and it's tomorrow."

"So? Lyza is a really good fighter, I mean you saw how many of our guards she put in the hospital and all those shadows she killed. What's the big deal?" She shrugs.

"That's what I said. But Lyza said she is nothing compared to the warriors," I sigh, rubbing the bridge of my healed nose.

Angel grabs my hand and squeezes it. She lets out a heavy breath. "I still kinda hate Lyza's guts, but for your sake, I hope she wins tomorrow."

********

"Let's go, don't want to be late," the guard chuckles, pushing me in front of him.

I frown, glancing over at Angel whose guard is following her like a drooling puppy.

What the hell is wrong with your guard? I mind-link her.

I flirted with him a little and now he is much nicer, I would suggest you try it but I don't think he's into guys, she replies, a small smirk on her lips.

I make an irritated face at her. You are so helpful you know that? I ask sarcastically.

I try, she chuckles. I roll my eyes and look forward as the guards guide us out of the palace-castle-looking building.

"Is the fight always at night?" I ask a guard.

"Yeah, it makes it much more difficult for the fighters. It helps make sure strength is not the determining factor in who will win," he says.