Chapt. 4

Taylor walks with a heavy heart into her apartment, unaware of what's waiting for her inside.

It's early in the morning so she and Karlie were able to slip back into the city without being noticed. However, that didn't seem like the case for what they saw when they pulled in the garage.

Not only was her publicist in her apartment, but Taylor knew her parents probably were lurking somewhere as well. She gulps from the drivers seat, too afraid to even look over at Karlie. She doesn't know how long she sat there just staring out at the garage wall, but it must've been long enough when she feels Karlie gently take her hand.

"I'm sorry, this is my fault." She acknowledges in a low, sad tone.

The thought of Karlie beating herself up over a decision the both make breaks her heart. She holds on to Karlie's hand and runs her thumb across the top, trying to find a perfect answer. Unfortunately, she can't come up with one right now.

"I'm going to have to go inside." She says quietly, finally turning and looking over at Karlie.

She looks so beautiful, but she looks so scared. Taylor mentally remarks as she stares at the girl next to her. In all this time that they've been hanging out together, she is noticing now for the first time just how young Karlie is.

With her hair up in a messy bun and some faded jeans, old white sneakers and a plain hoodie, Karlie looked like your average college kid. She wasn't much younger than Taylor and age hasn't ever been an issue, except that Taylor knows just how Tree was going to spin this.

She will try to say Karlie is too young and immature for Taylor, and that simply wasn't true.

"We should get this over with." Taylor says quietly, before exiting the car and meeting Karlie in the back to get the cats and luggage.

Karlie is beyond quiet which was normal and yet it was completely out of character. Taylor has always known how closed off the younger girl is but right now she couldn't read her at all. She hasn't said much since they arrived and doesn't speak a word as she helps Taylor wiggle out her luggage.

"Why don't you bring the cats up, I'll pull your luggage out of here and bring it up." Karlie huffs after a few seconds of struggling with the luggage.

"Okay." Taylor says simply with a small smile before gathering the cat carriers and walking into her own place. It felt good to be home, but Taylor missed being away with just Karlie. She walks into the living room, releasing the cats and turning to put their carriers into the closet. Once that's settled, she straightens up her blouse and takes a deep breath, heading into the kitchen.

As expected, she walks in only to see a very stressed out Tree Paine standing with her arms folded, looking right at Taylor.

"Look who decided to return to reality." Tree remarks with a slight attitude as Taylor steps in to the kitchen.

"I'm an adult Tree, I can do what I want." She says dryly as she opens the fridge and pulls out a water bottle. "Also, before you even try to, please don't assume I have some diva lifestyle, you know better." She warns wearily, usually a disagreement would end there for them but when she turns around and sees the fire in Tree's eyes, she knows she's on for a long day.

Tree takes a deep noticeable breath that Taylor can only imagine is working up a slew of words behind it. So before she could speak, Taylor sits down at her kitchen island and rests her head in her hands.

"Do you think this is some kind of joke?"

"Truthfully I'm not one for jokes, I do however enjoy constant sarcasm." Taylor says is a monotone voice as she nonchalantly glances down at her finger nails, appearing more interested in those instead of this conversation. Which, was probably half true if she were being honest.