Ch. 2

"The real world is where the monsters are."

Violet sits in the dark room that she's supposed to call hers now. She stares at the small window near the ceiling, watching as white clouds stroll across the blue sky. She presses her palms against the mattress of the twin bed, feeling the coils poke back at her. The mattress is hard and old but it's better than sleeping in old cars and the floors of abandoned buildings. She presses her lips together as she breathes in quietly, waiting for something exciting to happen.

Negan didn't talk to her the entire ride back to this place and she didn't strike up a conversation with him either. What do you say to someone that technically just kidnapped you? She had to admit though, this place, this room was better than the places she had been in the past few years. She was so used to scraping together a few pieces of beans and rice to just have something barely fill her stomach. She was also used to catching rain water in buckets to quench her thirst. More than anything, she hated not getting sleep because of the hard, cold concrete mattress that laid beneath her time and time again.

It wasn't the building that she was nervous about. Just like it wasn't the food or the mattress. It was the people that she worried about. She was always a loner, even before the apocalypse. She's never been apart of a group or a community. It's just always been her. Violet Owens.

"Violet," Dwight says as he swings the door to her small room open, "Negan would like to see you now." Violet nods slowly as she rises from the bed. She adjusts her bra strap which has begun to slide down her left shoulder before meeting Dwight in the narrow hallway. Dwight leads her down the hallway and a few others before reaching a larger room. It appears to have been some sort of office or break room before all of this. Her room must have been some sort of storage room with how small it is.

Dwight kneels in Negan's presence, bowing his head to the floor as he rests on one knee. Negan sits in a chair beside a table, his baseball bat resting at his side. Violet glances down at Dwight. Are these people serious? She's not bowing to anyone.

Negan slowly rises from his chair as Dwight stays on one knee in front of him. Negan stares Violet down as he slowly approaches the two of them. He stands tall, his bulky arms covered by the dark leather of his jacket. "Dwight," Negan says, "get up." Like a child listening to a parent, Dwight rises to his feet again.

"Now get the fuck out," Negan barks at Dwight. Dwight doesn't say anything, he just listens. Within a matter of seconds, Negan's bedroom door is slammed behind them. Negan is careful before saying anything. He walks in a circle around Violet, inspecting her carefully.

"Now let me ask you this Vi," he says as he stands in front of her again, "why didn't you bow when Dwight bowed?" Violet's hazel eyes glare up at him, her blood nearly boiling in her veins. This guy is an egotistical clown. "I don't bow to anyone," she responds simply as she never takes her eyes off of his.

"Oh really?" Negan smiles as he cocks his head back. "Yep," she states coldly, "really." She crosses her arms across her chest as she nearly rolls her eyes at him. She imagines this is what it's like for a teenager to have an attitude towards an authoritative figure. "Shit woman," Negan smiles as he leans his face in front of hers, "you have a sharp tongue. I'd love to see what else that tongue can do one day...."

She looks up at him in disgust. She wants to fight the urge to say another word but as always, she can't. "I'm sure it can do the same things that your right hand can...." she mutters with a quick smile. Negan leans back away from her as he stares at her in disbelief. Quickly, a deep booming laugh fills his room.

"Holy shit!" He laughs as he runs his finger through his peppered hair, "You are witty as fuck! I love a girl that's witty like that! They always keep me on my fuckin' toes...." He continues to laugh as he smiles at her. He presses his lips together before walking over to his prized baseball bat. He lifts it up with his right hand, swinging it lightly in a circle towards the floor.

"I like you," he whispers as he smirks at her, "and I don't want to bash your pretty little head in with Lucille here...." Violet stares at his baseball bat, fear tearing through her chest. While she loved acting like she didn't care, she very much did. "Which is why I won't," he laughs as he drops Lucille to the ground. She listens as his boots move across the floor of the room, him stepping in front of her again.

"But you see that Vi?" He smiles, "I make the rules. I get to decide who lives and who dies...." Slowly she looks up at him, relaxing her body as she breathes carefully. "So," he smiles darkly, "do you want to be here?"

Violet thinks carefully. She doesn't want to say the wrong thing. She's always said the wrong thing. "It's not like I have anywhere else to go," she shrugs as she glances up at him. Another dark smile spreads across his face as he places his fingertips under her chin. "Well then," he smiles through a whisper, "I guess you've found your new home."

After these words, his bedroom door swings open. Violet and Negan quickly turn their attention to the doorframe where another brunette stands. Her eyes are confused as she stares back at the two of them. "Fuck Sherry," Negan growls as he removes his fingertips from Violet's chin, "haven't I told you to fucking knock!?"

"Um," she whispers as she looks back at him, "yes. Sorry. It won't happen again." Negan rolls his eyes as he walks towards her, stopping between both women. "You're fucking right it won't happen again," he says as he points his finger at her. Sherry slowly nods her head as she glances down at the floor. Violet looks her up and down, wondering who she is and why she was about to enter Negan's bedroom. She couldn't help but have a twinge of jealousy flow through her.

"Oh right," Negan smiles at the two of them, "how fucking rude am I to not introduce you two sweethearts?" He points at Sherry. "Sherry," he smiles before pointing back to Violet, "this is Violet. Violet," he begins again, "this is Sherry." Sherry nods her head at Violet while Violet gives her a nod and a brief wave.

"Don't be fucking rude, Sherry," Negan mutters, "go shake her hand." Sherry nods at Negan before walking over to Violet, giving Violet's hand a gentle shake. "Fuck me," Negan laughs as he watches the two of them, "you two look a hell of a lot alike! Almost like twins!"

Violet and Sherry look at one another, not seeing the similarities. "However," Negan says as he takes a step towards the two of them, dragging his fingers along the edge of Sherry's shoulders, "Violet is the better version of you Sherry. I mean, look at her...." Violet looks away, not wanting to feel the second hand embarrassment of this Sherry girl. Negan laughs again as he takes his touch from Sherry.

"The two of you can both get the fuck out of here now," he says as he turns away from them to pick up Lucille, "Sherry, get to your fucking room. Violet, I have shit for you to do if you want to be apart of this working machine...." Sherry nods quietly before exiting the room. Violet watches as she leaves, looking to Negan as he swings his bat to his shoulder. "May I ask you something?" She says as she crosses her arms across her chest.

"Well," Negan smiles with a shrug, "since you fucking asked and I love that shit, why the hell not...." She breathes in before saying another word. "Why do you feel the need to treat people like shit?" She stands strong and tall as she glares over at him. The smile on Negan's face quickly dissolves as he bites his bottom lip, inching towards her.

"Okay sweetheart," he smiles, "we're going to get a few things straight right now." He stands directly in front of her, clutching onto his baseball bat so tight that his knuckles begin to turn white. "Number one," he begins, "I give you and everyone fucking else a roof to sleep under, food to feed your asses and basically the air that you fucking breathe, got it? Number two," he continues, "Because I can treat people how I fucking please."

Before finishing, he leans in closer to her, his lips only inches away from hers, "Number three, if I say jump, you ask how high. If I say cut your arm off, you ask which one. If I say fuck, you fuck. Got it?" Violets hands tremble beside her as she stares into his deep, dark eyes. "Got it," she whispers through a nod.

"Good," he smiles, relaxing his shoulders a bit. "That last bit by the way," he says as he smiles down at her, "that actually isn't apart of the deal. If I give it to you, I want you to want it. There's no other way. No means no, am I right?"

"You're right," she nods, her voice quiet. She can't help but be confused. He's for murder and kidnapping but not rape? At least he isn't a total piece of shit. "Of course I'm fuckin' right," he says as he walks around her, keeping Lucille tightly to his shoulder. "I wouldn't have it any other way," he smiles, "and don't get that fuckin' twisted."

vote. comment. etc.