Ch. 10

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

A breeze floods the area on the outskirts of the community, bringing a chill to everyone it touches. Everyone buries their hands into their jackets as they pretend that the cold doesn't bother them. Violet is warm as she moves from under the shade of the trees to the path of sunlight that follows along the middle of the road. She holds her weapon across her chest as she darts her eyes around her, in search of any walkers. Negan's men break the windows of a shop as they dig their dirty hands through piles of goods, deep throaty laughs filling the quiet road.

Negan leans against his truck, Lucille straight at his side as he keeps her positioned towards the ground. Violet glances over at him as he watches his men flood in and out of storefronts. A few carry bags of more cans and plastic bottles of water. Violet watches Negan as he tosses his head up against the back of the truck, a sick smile across his face. He adjusts his shoulders, the stiff leather covering his arms barely moving with him.

Violet keeps rotating in a circle, keeping her eyes directly down the middle of the road. As she keeps her eyes forward, she sees movement in the distance. She narrows her eyes more as she sees a quick movement far off across the street from where Negan's men are. She watches carefully as she sees a head move behind the corner of a building, the person's eyes watching them carefully. "Um," Violet says to herself as she quickly turns back to look at Negan, "I see movement over here."

Negan lowers his head back down as he turns his attention to Violet. Slowly, he pushes himself off from the truck as he drags Lucille alongside him, her barbed wire scratching across the pavement beneath her. "Dwight!" Negan shouts as he takes a stand next to Violet, "Go check it out!" Dwight nods his head once as he begins jogging in the direction that Violet saw movement. A few other men follow after him, their guns drawn in front of them - prepared for a fight.

A nervous knot grows in Violet's stomach as she watches Dwight disappear around the corner where she saw the movement. She glances to her right, watching as Negan keeps his eyes in the same place where she had hers. She turns back to see what or who Dwight drags around the corner. Negan takes a few steps forward, Violet beginning to walk slowly after him. Silence. The knot in Violet's stomach grows bigger and bigger by the second as her heart thumps wildly in her chest.

Before the knot can grow anymore, Dwight makes a reappearance - dragging a man in his hands. The man kicks and fights, shouting loud as he tries to get away from Dwight. As Dwight and the man turn into the street, Violet watches as a woman and two children follow after them. The woman is sobbing as the children stay behind her, clutching onto her with all of their might.

Negan and the rest of the group draw a circle around Dwight and the family as Dwight drops the man to the pavement, the back of his head making a thud. Violet grits her teeth as she watches the man roll over to look up at Dwight. The man and the family behind him are filthy, mud and stains filling their clothes and skin. They've been out in the elements for quite awhile.

"Well, well, well...." Negan smiles as he walks around the man, "what do we have here?" Dwight stands next to the man, a black crossbow being held above the man's head. Dwight holds one eye shut as he aims at the back of the man's head, ready to release an arrow at any moment. "They tried to run," Dwight says to Negan without taking his vision away from the man, "but I grabbed the son of a bitch."

Negan nods slightly as he stares down at the man who stares directly up at him, a look of fight and will spilling across his face. Negan is quiet as he looks the man up and down, a look of disgust following soon after. "Fuck," Negan mutters, "you look like shit! Holy fuck man, what have you been bathing in, cow shit?" A slight laugh escapes Negan as he continues to stare down at the man.