Chapter 20: Mission

Maybe yelling at the top of my lungs wasn't the smartest idea

Maybe yelling at the top of my lungs wasn't the smartest idea. Actually, it never is the smartest idea when you're on a mission to apprehend a war-crazed man with a nuke and hundreds of loyal followers.

I ended up having to knock a few tables down while sprinting toward the staircase at the end of the wide room. I knew that at least one of my team members would be on the floor above or below me, it was just a matter of which floor would be the best to escape to.

The ten or so men behind me shouted curse words, tripping over each item I had knocked over.

"Look, fellas, as much as I enjoy a swarm of men chasing after me, I'd much rather have you do it without any weapons and that angry attitude!" I shouted, making a sharp turn and wiping all the contents of the nearest desk onto the floor. "Maybe some roses and chocolates next time? Women love that!"

One man responded to my snarky comment with a knife whizzing past my head.

"Heading to the south stairwell and jumping in three, two, one!" I planted one foot on the ground and launched myself over the railing.

"Dammit, Kylie!" Nat yelled as she saw me fall past her floor.

I twisted my body and used my grappling hook and shot it at the highest floor. It wrapped itself around the railing and I pressed the button to send me up.

"Reinforcements, anyone?" I asked, passing each floor slowly.

"Seventh floor needs help, this guy is trying to make a break for it," Thor said.

I smiled, "On my way!"

When I reached the seventh floor's chaos, I sprung into action. Half the team was here: Thor, Clint, and Steve.

"Everyone else is controlling damage on the other floors!" Steve yelled toward me, throwing his shield at a guy trying to attack me from behind. I smiled at him as a thanks.

"Yeah, thanks to your high-pitched war cry!" Clint scolded. "Duck!" 

I hit the ground and he fired a smoke arrow at my attacker's chest. He stumbled backwards and fell over the railing.

After a few minutes of trying to fend off the overly huge men, I spot our target trying to sneak away while we're busy.

I kicked the chest of a tall dark-haired man and he stumbled back with a grunt. He caught himself and ran full throttle at me, arms outstretched like he's about to give me the best damn hug in the world. I grabbed ahold of his forearm, turned my body so that his chest was pressed to my back, and used his own strength and speed to flip him.

I began to sprint away from the fight and to the random room our target disappeared to and announced, "Target disappearing with no nuke, I'm in pursuit. He must have the nuke stored somewhere else. Tony, fly around, locate extraction vehicle. Now!"