Chapter 10: Reunited

6 months later

6 months later

After Loki's attack that nearly leveled all of Manhattan, which was appropriately dubbed the Battle of New York, the team split up. I returned to my normal SHIELD missions which involved staking out potential threats and doing what I did best: eliminating them. It was a nice thing to return to after fighting an entire alien race. 

I had just finished a mission debriefing and left the headquarters. Its discreet exit spilled out into a busy New York street, which was conveniently a block down from my new favorite bakery. As a job well done to myself for preventing a war between two very prominent countries, I treated myself to a slice of strawberry shortcake. 

As the wind blew my hair into my face, I dug through my bag and took out my phone to dial the number of Tony Stark. He promised to send a suit to pick me up after getting out of work. Sure, I had a car. But who would ever turn down flying in the suit?

Though it had been months, I was still living with him. I tried to move out multiple times so that I wouldn't be a bother, but he always refused. If I mentioned that I found an apartment to move into, he'd somehow get the landlord to revoke my application and rent the apartment out to another tenant. 

Living with the man I almost killed was not as bad as I expected it to be. I have a spacious room that was bigger than any apartment I ever rented. Having JARVIS was definitely the highlight of living in the tower. In my second week of living there, I woke up to find a hot cup of tea sitting pretty on the kitchen counter. 

"I took note of your daily patterns and know that you have a cup of green tea before you leave for work. I took the liberty of making it for you," JARVIS explained when I asked him why the tea was already prepared. From that day forward, he became the most dependable person in my life.

Though living like Tony was great, I couldn't help but feel like he was overcompensating for his guilt. He did express that he felt awful for digging up my past and flying through my apartment building during the battle. I would ask him about this, but he denied it and followed it up with his signature sarcastic quips.

"Tony!" I yelled over the city traffic.

"Mhm?" Tony asks, a welding machine sparking to life in the background. He'd been working on a new suit for the past month, and he tends to get really caught up in it.

"Can you send over a suit? I'm in front of the bakery on the corner of 24th street," I said.

"Not today. I sent a friend," Tony replied dismissively, immediately hanging up.

"Dammit, Tony," I cursed. 

Like I said, he was so caught up in creating a new suit that he completely disconnected with the world. It was just him and the technology. 

As for the friend he said would pick me up, I was not sure who it would be. We didn't share many mutual friends, as he had a plethora of connections while I kept very few.