Chapter 36: Amsterdam

"You're doing what?"

"I'm going to Amsterdam."

Literally five minutes after my call with Clint, I packed my bags and called Tony, saying that I was ready for the favor that he owed me. He was skeptical at first, but flew in within the hour from New York and joined me in drinking a cup of coffee.

I told him my plans, and to my surprise, he was completely against the whole thing. Usually he had no opinion on my endeavors and just went along with it. He never bothered to fight me on decisions that had no direct relation to him until today.

"Do you have any idea what you are putting yourself through?" he questioned loudly, earning a few unwanted stares from the people in the small cafe.

I rolled my eyes and nodded. "I have spent years as one of the world's top contract killers, not to mention evaded SHIELD for a majority of them, been a legitimate agent, fought aliens, then fought Hydra. I think I'm good."

"You got shot by the Winter Soldier. He almost killed you," he added on, his voice flat and monotone.

"It wasn't a critical wound," I informed him proudly.

Tony leaned back in his chair, staring at me with a straight face. His eyes bored into my soul, making me squirm uncomfortably in my chair.

He suddenly leaned forward, propping his hands on the table. "He was choking you. Yeah, I know about that."

"Maybe I'm into that," I blurted, frustrated with his points. As soon as the last word left my mouth, I threw a hand over it. I really thought that I was past this embarrassing habit.

"I did not need to know that."

"Okay, one: I didn't mean that. And two: if I had a few more moments I could have gotten out of that."

The billionaire in front of me snorted. He kept on doing so until it turned into full blown laughter that was loud enough to hear from across the street.

"Be quiet!" a middle-aged woman snapped from her seat.

A barista made her way from behind the counter to our little table, saying, "Mr. Stark. Thank you for being a valued customer in our establishment, but we are kindly asking you to keep your voice down."

Her face had regret written all over it, obviously afraid of the backlash from Stark and his snarky self. To her surprise, Tony finished up his school-girl giggling within the minute and apologized for his behavior.

"My friend here is just... so darn funny!" he explained, laying firm pats on my shoulder. My torso jerked forward with every pat, also increasing my level of annoyance. The employee nodded, displayed a freaked out smile, and scurried away.

"Stark, remember the last time you got on my nerves?" I asked sweetly, a fake smile plastered on my face. The thought dawned on him and his smile quickly dropped.

His mood quickly changed back to the annoyed and serious one he had a minute ago.

"Ky, you are going to get yourself killed."

"I'll be fine. Would you care to join me, since you're so afraid of what's going to happen to me?" I sassed.

Tony squeezed his eyes shut and took a deep breath. He was juggling his options: to accompany me, give me transportation to Amsterdam, or to not help me at all. Knowing him, he'd probably choose one of the first two. He couldn't possibly shoot me down.

"No, I won't be joining you because I'm too high profile. But, I will personally pilot you to the lovely city of Amsterdam because I, your wonderfully handsome friend, am a man of my word. And I do owe you a favor, which I am very disappointed that this is what you're cashing it in for—"