Chapter 9: Battle Of New York Part 2

"Cap! There's a bunch of hostages in that building over there!" I yelled as I kicked an alien in its chest

"You go through the front entrance, I'll surprise them through the back," he directed, swinging a punch. 

When we were through with this wave, our opponents littered the ground, hopefully dead or out of commission for the next few hours.

I was panting and sweating, not having this much of a workout in a while. The waves of Chitauri just kept on coming and I was quickly reaching my breaking point. My legs were aching from the constant running, my fists hurt from all the contact with the hard Chitauri faces, and I was running out of bullets. 

Honestly, what was I thinking when I joined SHIELD? If I chose prison, I'd be sleeping right about now. No one would bother me because when you rack up that many homicide charges, no one would want to mess with you. I'd probably be in maximum security and away from general population anyway. 

Now that I think about it again, I probably would have been executed. Maybe I do love my job.

Steve entered through a window on a higher floor while I busted through the door. The hostages gasped at my sudden entrance and moved away from me, shaking in fear.

When they realized I was human, they slowly rose to their normal height and stared. They still couldn't decide if they could trust me.

A teary-eyed young girl tugged at her mother's arm and asked, "Mommy, is she going to kill us?"

I looked at her and shook my head, my lips curving up slightly to create a weak smile. That question that made my skin crawl. It was reminiscent of a particularly bloody memory in my past.

"Cap?" I called out.

"Just a minute!" he grunted, throwing one of the alien guards over the balcony, landing right in front of me with a loud thud. 

I grabbed my grappling hook from my belt and shot it up at the ceiling. After it locked, it began to lift me up and I was able to reach Steve.

I helped him with the last two aliens left. It was a blur of punches and gunshots until something detonated, sending me back over the balcony.

All I could see was the crowd diverging, not even attempting to help break my fall. I managed to twist my body around and shoot the grappling hook once again, latching it into the ceiling. It stopped my fall at the point where my hair barely dragged along the floor. I sighed a breath of relief and got myself on my feet once again.

An alien dropped down from the balcony and proceeded to stare me down. 

He threw the first punch, and I ducked under it, using that as an oppurtunity to punch it in the stomach, sending the tall alien staggering back. He lifted his gun, aiming for my head. I grabbed the nozzle, hit its elbow, and the gun was in my hand. I cocked it and pulled the trigger, turning the alien into ashes. The civilians cried out.