Chapter 44: Church Bells

After months of frustrated tears, late nights of putting together decorations, and multiple bottles of aspirin, the day was finally here.

I was finally getting married.

I couldn't at all contain my excitement. I woke up two hours before I normally would and rolled over to see my future husband's beautiful face. The light from the New York hotel room's big window directly fell onto his face, a bright streak across his nose and went on toward the top of his head.

As I laid there for what seemed like hours, though only a few minutes passed, Steve's eyes fluttered open. He took in a small breath, our hearts both feeling the rush of excitement for the day that's to come.

"Good morning, future wife," he smiled, his voice raspy and tired.

"Good morning, future husband. I have to go get ready, Nat's picking me up in thirty minutes. We're going to check out the pier then the reception venue. I'll see you in a few hours."

I gave him a quick kiss on the lips before rolling out of bed and heading into the bathroom.

Nat came on time, immediately grabbing my wrist and dragging me out as soon as the door opened. Steve watched on with a playful frown, waving sadly as I gave him an apologetic look.

As we turned a corner, Sam bounded toward us, his usual peppy smile plastered on his face.

"Where are —"

"Not now, bird brain! The women are leaving. Go attend to your groom," Nat brushed him off, sticking the palm of her hand in his face as we passed by.

"Alright. You ladies have fun, now!"

"I think you're more excited than I am," I giggled, amused by the redhead whose pace was ten times quicker than mine.

She remained looking forward, saying, "I'm the maid of honor, I am merely fulfilling my duties."

We drove a good twenty minutes to the pier where Steve and I decided to host the ceremony. The pier was significant to us because even though it was a place I ran to out of frustration after our first kiss, it was also the place where we both realized the depth of our feelings. He knew where to find me without any hesitation in the late hours of the night, and it spoke volumes to the both of us.

For me, I knew he really paid attention to the small facts about myself. I've never made a big deal about the water, I just mentioned that I loved the sea once or twice in a story. Just knowing that he remembered something so insignificant opened my eyes just a little bit on the potential he had.

For Steve, he had realized that he had more than just feelings for me. He was already in love with me. Completely and utterly in love.

And so that's why the ceremony was at the pier.

Just for this day, Tony invented some nano device to clean up the dirty pier water just a little bit. It was just one of his gifts to us, though he said that technically it was to test out his prototype. But we all knew what it really was. So around this time, the water at least looked blue-ish.

Nonetheless, the pier looked beautiful. Groups of people we hired scrambled around to get everything in it's proper place, even though the wedding wasn't for another six hours. They placed chairs in the proper rows and began working on the wooden arch.

The two of us walked around and helped in any way we possibly could while thanking everyone we came across.

Then, we made our way back to our hotel, where we were also holding the reception.

"Thank you, guys, really," I said to the cooks. "I hope Mr. Stark is not giving you a hard time."

"Oh, no. Mr. Stark is always a delight!" one of the waitresses beamed.