Rule #11

Rule #11: Have a bunch of cool gadgets. Like Batman taught us, a hero isn't just their powers (or lack thereof), it's about what they do with those powers and the gadgets they have to help them. No matter what kinds of powers you have, gadgets can always help. So use them!

I was a perfect gentleman as I walked Faye home. Hey! You don't believe me? Well, I was! I may be a hormonal teenaged boy that thinks completely differently than a gentleman, but I can still act like one. It's my true superpower, you know. I can be anything I want to be, such as a gentleman, whenever the situation demands it. And walking home a pretty girl is the perfect time to be a gentleman.

Anyway, we walked together for about three-fourths of the distance we each had to walk to each of our houses. But around that three-fourths point our paths split up, she would keep walking and turn the corner farther down and I would turn left, so I had to say goodbye. She hadn't said much on our walk, it had mostly been small talk, and I was so nervous I didn't know what to do with myself. But Faye, like always, looked so poised and put together. Let me tell you, that didn't make me feel better at all.

I'm not going to go into the specifics of what was said when we said goodbye. Believe me, it was pretty boring. She basically just said that she was glad I had walked her home, that she'd see me tomorrow, and that was it. She just smiled one more time, she had such a lovely smile, and walked away. I don't even remember if I said goodbye, I was probably too nervous to even open my mouth without puking or something. All I remember was that it was horrible to have to watch her walk away. But I also couldn't help but look. I waited until she was around the corner to continue walking.

That was when I heard her scream.

Forgetting for a second (okay, let's be honest, it took me a few minutes) that I could, you know, FLY, I ran around the corner to see what was going on. But I was too late, I barely glimpsed Faye's pretty face as she was stuffed into a van by a bunch of goons in all black. Sure, guys, that didn't make you look suspicious at all. In my shock, all I could do was stand there as they drove away. Only then did I remember that I could fly (I may be powerful but I'm not the smartest, all right?).

Following the van was pretty easy, it was painted all black as well, but the hard part was not being seen. Like the idiot that I was, I didn't have my uniform with me and couldn't be seen flying around in my Matt-suit. Not to mention I still had my backpack. I considered flying to Dan's lair to get it but I also didn't want to risk losing the van. After all, I didn't have superspeed. So instead I flew as high as possible without losing sight of the van, hoping no one (especially a reporter) was looking up at the sky. My one hope was that if a reporter did look up, it would be Kelly Barnes and she would be able to tell Dan. But I couldn't depend on his help, Faye was in trouble and I had to help her.

I must have followed the van for at least half an hour before it finally stopped. By now we were on the outskirts of the city, out by the old abandoned amusement park (whoever planned this kidnapping sure didn't have any imagination). Finally, the van stopped and the goons out, tying Faye up. I watched and waited until they eventually drove away.

I know all of you would have sensed that this was a trap, all it needed was a sign that said so, but I flew in anyway. Which is how I was unable to notice that someone else was there with Faye. A redheaded woman that was also all in black. But unlike the goons, who were wearing typical robber clothes, her outfit was more spandex-y and she stood with much more confidence. Think Black Widow but with even worse intentions. She had to be a supervillain, I could feel it in my gut. (Dan would be so proud.)

Once again, I wished that I had had time to get and change into my uniform. It was my first time confronting a villain on my own and of course it had to be when I was wearing my ratty school clothes. But I couldn't let Faye get hurt because I had made poor styling choices so I threw down my backpack.