Chapter Ten

John opens his eyes in his apartment in Hell. He's lying on a bed. Yes, he has a bad, wow. He heads to the toilet but, surprise, there's no toilet anymore but there's Moonie instead.
"Hey mate! You made it?"
"Hmm, let me think... Of course we made it, you idiot!" Lennon laughs happily and pokes Keith playfully. "But it's your service as well. Thank you"
Moon waves his hand. "That's nothing. By the way, you wouldn't need toilet, would you? You can fold it again if you want..." He points pieces lying on the floor.
"No, thanks... Shit, my head. I didn't know you can have hangover while being dead..."
"Go back to sleep or something. I'll be going, see you" After that Keith leaves.

John does as he's told and fall asleep fast. He dreams about – who could guess – Paul. His smile, his confused face back at the cemetery... Memories come back to him in his sleeps. He can't disclaim. He loves Macca. What would happen, if he confessed his love before Lennon's death? Who knows? Maybe everything would be different? But he's here and now and he doesn't really care because he's happy.

***

Paul wakes up still at George's. He has a small hangover but he isn't complaining. John loves him and this is only thing that matters. Headache won't spoil his mood. About twelve McCartney thanks the guys one more time and leaves.

***

"I'm back!" Macca shouts as he enters his house.
"James! God damn it! Can you, please, tell me why are you acting like that?!"
"I... I don't..." He doesn't know what to say. He's surprised by her reaction yet he can't blame her. He knows what it looks like.
"Paul... I know it's hard for you... John was your best friend but... I am your wife, I'm caring about you, you know? You lock yourself in your room for the whole days, disappear at night... What am I supposed to think?"
"I know, just... I was at George's. Believe me, please..."
"I wish I could..."

Paul doesn't know what to do. He's a mess and the only thing he can think of is John so he goes straight to his bedroom and waits for him to come back. He tries to play guitar, just to do something, but can't focus so decides to go to sleep.

***

When Macca wakes up, he hears Linda's voice. She's talking with kids but he can't tell what about. He looks in the mirror wondering how he ended up here. He makes the decision. He doesn't want to hurt Linda anymore. She doesn't deserve it. Same with children...

Paul makes himself and goes downstairs. Linda stands in the kitchen looking rather angry. He hesitates for a second but knows he has to tell her. He owes it to her...
"Linda, love, we have to talk..."
Wife looks at him trying to hide interest in her eyes as she tells kids to leave.
"Yes?"
"Well, you know... John's death, it's... It was hard to everybody... I don't think you'll understand but... I lost something more than a friend then... And when guys... They had a plan..." McCartney feels stupid, he knows he sounds like a mad man but there's no way back now.
"What 'plan'?"

"Theywantedtoconjurehim"
"What?"
"They wanted... We... conjured him... You know, he's ghost. We talked and all but..."
"You're telling me that when you were disappearing for the whole nights, it was because you wanted to meet John's ghost?"
"That's not all... yesterday we..."
"There's more! Great! Go on"
"I got to know there's a way... There's a way for him to recover his body... Not forever... For three hours a day..."
"Paulie, honey, tell me... Do you feel good? You're high or something?"
"What? No! It's true! Geo and Rings... They'll tell you. I'm not crazy!"
"Paul maybe... get some sleep and we'll talk later..."
"No. Linda, please, let me finish... Well, I always... And when John died..." He stops for a second, thinking how to tell her. He knows this will hurt.
"I... I love him..."

Linda freezes. Her eyes are wide open and she feels a bit dizzy. She leans against the worktop as if she was about to pass out. "And what that's supposed to mean? You love him? He's dead for God's sake!"
"Well, actually... not exactly... I told you he can come..."
Linda stays silent until Paul can't stand it anymore.
"Linda, love... Tell something..."

Tears fill her eyes and here voice is shaking but finally she starts speaking. "How long?"
"How long what?"
"How long you... him?" She can't force herself to tell this out loud. It's too much.
"You know... few years?"
"I see... No. No, I don't... You've got everything man could want. Fame, money, band, wife, children... And you want to throw it all away because of imagined ghost of your friend? And why's that? You're seeking for attention?" Linda, without thinking much, catches the nearest plate and throws it at the floor. It breaks making a loud nose which causes Paul to cringe.

"That's the end. I can't take it anymore. I can't live under the same roof with a man like you. You're not the Paul McCartney I married. You're someone strange. It'll be better if I take the children and..."
"No. Linda, love, don't do this. Let me explain..."
"There's nothing to explain. You're mad. I'm moving out!" Linda goes to the bedroom, she tells kids to pack their things. They don't know what's going on, they're scared.

Paul rushes behind his wife. He can't lose her. After all he still loves her.
She closes the door angrily right in front of him. Macca starts banging desperately.
"Linda, please! It doesn't have to be this way. Give me one more chance, I beg you!"
"You had your chances!" She shouts back.
McCartney collapses to the floor, next to the door. He tries to steam the tears but fails and cries quietly.