Chapter Twelve

John at first isn't so sure that Macca's idea is so good. After some time to negotiation he finally gives up. They make the decision.
"...But Paul, it's not that easy... You have to... You owe some explanation to Lin and Geo and Rings as well! They should know"
"Well, I guess you are right. Maybe... I'll do it right away"
Paul goes to the other room. He decides to write a letter, to say goodbye. When he finishes he puts it in a mailer and comes back to John, who waits in the living room.

"You ready?"
"Kind of..."
"So, that's all?"
"No, I think I should go to Linda... Talk to her in person. Same with the guys"
"Yeah, I guess that's the best way..."
Paul nods. He starts to get ready, he can't leave like this.

"Maybe... I should go with you?" Lennon asks. He wanted to help his lover somehow. Maybe it'll be easier if they go together.
"Umm" McCartney hesitate a bit "I don't think... It'd be too much for her... and there are also kids... It'll be better if you stay"
"Oh, okay, I see. But... I can go to Ringo and George, yeah?"
"Sure. How much time is there left?"
John looks at the clock. "Half an hour, I guess"
"Not much... Let's go to the guys first"
"Okay"

***

"I'm nervous" Paul confesses standing in front of his friend's door.
"They'll understand" Lennon smiles.
McCartney just nods and knocks quietly. Two lovers stand in silence for a while. Then, finally, Ringo opens.
"Oh, hi Paul... John?"
"Hey..."
"Is George here? We have to talk" Macca goes straight to the point. He wants to end it before he changes his mind.
"It's important" John adds and takes his lover by the hand.
"Yes, he is. Come in" Drummer frowns but walks his friends to the living room.

"Hey Ringo, who's th- Oh, hello" George greets them, surprised.
"Hi" They answer and sit down on the sofa.
"So... what's it all about?" Ringo asks breaking awkward silence.
"I-I don't know... It's just I can't do that anymore... When John died, well, you know how it hit me..."
"Paul, it was hard to all of us..." Harrison interrupts him.
"It's not that... He never... was just my friend... I love him. I always did..." McCartney looks the ground not being able to look at his friends. "I was too afraid to say anything... I thought you'll think I'm mad..."
"Paul, we'd never..."
"I know but..." Ringo starts.
"I see..." Geo nods.
"Thanks" Macca smiles slightly. "Now, you know, my whole life... It's complicated. Linda left me, she doesn't want to know me... My kids... My life's a ruin... And it's all my fault. I fucked it... now..." He gives John the pleading look.
"Paul... Paul wants to kill himself... He wants to be with me in Hell..." Lennon explains.

There's a long silence. Much too long, to be honest.
"If... If that's what you want..." Harrison says finally"
"I do"
"Well... okay then... good luck"
"Thank you"
"No problem"
"No, not for this... It was all your idea... What would I do without you, guys? Thank you so, I'll miss you"
"Yeah, we will too"
Paul pulls them in a group hug.
"You're amazing! Thanks for everything. Give us a call sometime, eh?" Lennon grins at his friends.
"Yeah, sure"
After that John disappears.

"I'll be going... I have to talk with Lyn"
"Does... does she know?" Harrison asks.
"She does..." Macca nods slowly.
"Good" Is all what George says before three of them hug one more time.

Paul leaves. He tries to pull himself together. He has to be strong and tell all of this one more time to his own wife.
He goes to the hotel, where Linda stays with children. He's afraid but he has no choice. After a while he knocks.
Linda opens the door. Her eyes are red from crying and the lack of sleep. As she notices Paul, she wants to lock the door quickly. He doesn't let her though.
"Wait!" McCartney waits for an answer but when it doesn't come he decides to continue. "I... I'm not gonna ask you to stay... I see how it looks like but... I just have to tell you..."
„Paul, I really..." Linda doesn't want to listen, she already had enough pain.

"Lyn, everything I told you before... That's true... Try to believe me, please. Now... I know I fucked it... I know but... There's the way... Linda I..."
His wife is afraid of what she might hear but she doesn't interrupts.
"I'm going to kill myself... I want to be with John... My whole world has become a living hell after his death... Everything changed..."
"You're crazy" Is everything she's able to say right now.
"No, Lyn, I..."
"Have you thought about me? About children?"
"I know... But try to understand me..."
"I can't. What am I supposed to tell kids? That their daddy decided to kill himself so he could create a happy relationship with his dead friend in Hell?!"
"Linda, please, don't say that..." Both of them don't say anything for a moment. "I'm sorry..."
Linda starts to cry, she does not want to but she can't help.
"Linda, please, love... Don't think about it like... about a suicide... More like a solution for all the troubles."
She begins to cry even harder.
"Honey, I leave it all to you. My house, my money... That won't be a problem. You're great and you will find another man. Hopefully, better than me... Don't worry." He hugs his crying wife tightly. "Goodbye, Lyn. I love you and I always will. Please, forget about me. Forget about me and be happy. I just... I just can't take it anymore... I am so sorry, Lyn..." Paul looks her deep in the eyes, but looks at the ground fast. He knows that if he stays like that he's going to cry too.

"Can I say goodbye to children?"
Linda still not saying a word moves allowing him to come in. She just realizes they're talking standing in the doorway.
Paul head to the bedroom slowly.
"Hi, loves, daddy has to... quit, for a while now... Be nice for mammy, okay? Daddy loves you all very much, remember that." McCartney hugs and kisses each of them. Then he gets up. Linda sniffs.
"Whatever you're doing... good luck"
"Thank you"
"Goodbye, Paul"
Macca kisses his wife goodbye, turns away and leaves.

***

Ok, it took me forever to update I knooooow
You can burn meh now

But if you do you will never know the ending so...