1. Here Lies Emmy Alexander's Hopes And Dreams

Chapter 1

Here Lies Emmy Alexander’s Hopes And Dreams

I could feel their eyes on me, watching me from their seats a few back from mine as I looked out the jet’s window at the night sky.  It was clear, mostly because we were above the clouds, and the moon shone brightly up above and the thousands of stars twinkled, tiny diamonds on a black canvas. 

But no matter how beautiful it was, I found myself trying to fight back tears every time I thought of the one person who was always the brightest star in my night sky, who I left with a broken heart just a few hours earlier.    

I knew that every time I closed my eyes, John’s face would be right there.  Not his smiling one, but the one that I saw when I was telling him goodby, the one of a man who had just lost everything.  And I deserved it.  I deserved having to suffer for what I was doing to him, even if it was to protect him.  He’d done everything in his power since I’d met him to protect me and he loved me, too.  And what was I doing?  This.     

Someone sat in the seat beside me and I knew who it was, seeing his face reflected in the night sky on my window.

“Are you okay?” Ryan asked, shifting slightly, uncomfortable.  “You look…”

I whipped my head toward him, narrowing my eyes.  “I look miserable?  That’s because I am.  I’m beating myself up about this because I deserve it.  You wouldn’t understand having to leave someone you love to protect them, knowing that if they ever found out, they would think that you were a traitor.  Because that’s what I am to John now, once he finds out I’m with you.  I’m losing the best thing that’s ever come into my life, so don’t tell me how I look right now.”

Maybe he didn’t expect me to say anything, but all he did was look at me, searching my face for…something.  The only thing that he would find was misery.

“Just go away,” I mumbled, turning back to the window. 

He didn’t, though.  He sat there for another minute or so, just staring at me, before I saw his reflection stand up, walking back toward where Juliet sat silent.  Their voices were hushed as they spoke, but I was blocking them out however I could.  What I couldn’t block out, though, was when Juliet appeared in front of me, taking the seat across from mine. 

“Yes?” I asked her after she just sat there for a minute or two, staring at me. 

“Just wanted to see how you were doing and to tell you where we’re going.  I’m not going to give you any specifics until we land, though.”

“And where are we going…?”

“Home.”

Home?  What did she mean by home?  For me, I had two homes, my childhood home in New York and the man I left behind, neither of which I was going to see any time soon.

“Your home, Emmy, in New York,” Juliet finished.  She smiled when she saw my confused, yet surprised expression when I looked at her.  “I know what you’re thinking, but this is part of the plan.  You see, you’re not coming with us just yet.  We’ve got to get some things in order before you do, so we’re giving you about two weeks at home.  But getting you back…that’s going to be a different story.  Sorry, but I’m not going to tell you exactly when.  It’s one of the details we’re going to have to work through before we do.  But once you are, we’ll head off.”

I narrowed my eyes just in the slightest.  “And if I remember correctly, it’s going to be one heck of a way to get off everyone’s radar, huh?”