10. Hated By A Girl I Barely Know...What's Up With That?

Chapter 10

Hated By A Girl I Barely Know…What’s Up With That?

Since I hadn’t been out of my room in days, I didn’t know exactly where I was going after I reached the bottom of the stairs.  Everything looked the same in my eyes as I looked in both directions, not recognizing anything from when Ryan had led me to the library.  Even the staircase itself didn’t look familiar, because it hadn’t been the one we’d gone up before. 

Well, if I couldn’t find my way to the kitchen, they’d hopefully forget about me and let me get lost in this endless maze of a house.  I wouldn’t get anymore lost than I already was on the inside. 

So I took my chances, walking down the hallway to the left. 

Almost every doorway I passed was closed with no voices or any other sound coming from inside.  Turning down random hallways, I soon found the wood paneled walls disappearing, opening up to a part of the house that I hadn’t seen before. 

The farther I walked, the brighter the hallway got, turning from the wood paneling to light beige paint.  Morning sunlight was pouring through floor-to-ceiling windows, looking out at the back of the house where a stone patio was.  There was a set of glass double doors on the other side of it, with more windows on both sides looking into the space it displayed.  I paused, peering into the kitchen area on full display. 

Theo and Juliet were standing together in front of the stove, cooking and laughing at something Theo had said.  He smirked at Juliet before grabbing her around the waist and pulling her into his side to plant a kiss on her laughing mouth. 

Kate was opening an upper cabinet, pulling out a stack of plates to set on the counter.  The tops of Aiden and Sterling’s heads were visible over the center island as she gave each boy a small stack, staying close behind them as they walked toward a large circular table in front of the double doors. 

There were four others sitting at the table.  Ryan stood just as the boys managed to get to it before dropping their armloads, helping them put the plates on top of it.  Tory sat beside where he’d been, talking to Jamie and another guy who I’d never seen before.  While Jamie looked bored, leaning back in her chair with her arms crossed over her chest, the guy was listening to whatever Tory was saying.  His dark hair was shaved close to his head and, dressed in a simple black t-shirt, I could see just how big and muscular he was.  After watching him for a few moments, he seemed like the strong, silent type, keeping a straight face even though Tory had started laughing.  But when the corners of his lips started twitching, I knew it was all a game.  He could be strong and silent, but seemed more like a jokester at heart.   

And it seemed odd, seeing everyone in this new light.  Watching from the outside in, it was like they were just a big family getting ready for breakfast.  Theo, Juliet, and Kate were all bringing plates of food to the table as the others settled in just I started walking down the hallway again, hearing their voices and laughter getting louder and louder. 

And over the clatter of plates and silverware, I heard Ryan’s voice.  “Should I go get Emmy?  I don’t think she knows how to get here…”

But all nine pairs of eyes turned in my direction when I appeared in the doorway.  They seemed surprised, though they shouldn’t have been.  Maybe it was because I was actually semi-presentable, though I’d pulled a jacket on over the clothes Juliet had practically thrown at me earlier.  Stuffing my hands in my pockets, I shuffled forward toward the one seat left at the table in between Ryan and Kate.