15. Hello, Déjà Vu...Nice To See You Again

Chapter 15

Hello, Déjà Vu…Nice To See You Again

“Em, get up already.”

“No, go away.  Sleep.  I want more sleep.”

“You’ve already gotten enough sleep.  Get up.”

“Nope.”

A sigh.  “Fine.  I’ll get you up a different way then.”

Footsteps headed for the door before it clicked shut.  Smiling slightly, I turned and buried my head in the pillows again. 

But it was only a few minutes later that two other sets of footsteps sounded down the hallway with the first.  Knowing what Ryan’s plans were, I pulled my covers over my head, hiding.

When the door opened and Ryan spoke, I could hear the smile in his voice.  “You two know what to do.”

The bed dipped as Aiden and Sterling crawled up on to it, their giggles getting closer before they started jumping all around me. 

“Emmy, get up!”

“Unca Ryan said we could tickle yous if yous didn’t!”

One of them jumped on me, so unexpected that it forced the air from my lungs, and they both started clawing at the covers, trying to pull them off me.  But I held onto them, laughing once I was able to suck in a breath. 

“Unca Ryan, help us!  She won’t gets up!”

“You got it.”

Ryan moved the boys away and yanked the covers right out of my hands.  Aiden and Sterling squealed again, jumping back onto me.  They tried to tickle me, but I caught them up in my arms and pulled them to either side of me. 

“Yous awake!” Sterling grinned from beside me once they stopped trying to wiggle free. 

“Unca Ryan said yous were still sleepin’,” Aiden laughed.  “He said we could gets yous up.  You got a present!”

“A present?  But my birthday was a few weeks ago.”

Aiden nodded.  “Someone sended you somethin’, though!  Unca Ryan, show her!”

Ryan reached down where he’d put the box on the floor beside my bed as I sat up, looking at it curiously.  With Aiden and Sterling on either side and Ryan sitting in front of me, I tore the tape off, opening it up to see a folded piece of paper with my name written on the front. 

I’m sure you’ll find use for this soon.   

-          Ed

Smiling, I pulled my leather jacket out of the box and a thousand memories came flooding back.  How they still had it, I had no idea, but I couldn’t go properly go out on an assignment without it.

“How’d he know?” I asked Ryan, looking up at him. 

He smiled, shrugging.  “Last time Juliet talked to him, she said that your first assignment was coming up soon.  And then this morning, this was sent over to the house.  I guess he figured you’d want it.”

I smiled again, nodding.  “So it’s soon then, huh?  The first assignment?”

“Yep,” he nodded.  “So you’d better start getting ready…we leave in a few hours.”