22. If I Burn, My World Burns With Me

Chapter 22

If I Burn, My World Burns With Me

The sound of rain splattering on a metal roof greeted me when my eye finally opened.  It was a steady drizzle, each drop pinging as it fell.  There was a rumble of thunder, making the building I was in sound as if it was going to come crashing down at any moment.  There wasn’t a window to look out of to tell what time it was, no indication of the passing of time.  In fact…I could barely see anything at all, only the outline of a door. 

But I could hear everything. 

Sounds really did echo when the walls were made of metal.  There were two voices that were outside the illuminated doorway – two voices that I recognized almost immediately.

Connor Peters.

And Braewyn Frost.

“Have they gotten the old man yet?  I would have thought he’d lost his ability to get away with age, but he’s evaded them for hours now,” Braewyn asked.  Her footsteps sounded like she was pacing the hallway outside the door.

“Oh, they’ll get him.  He can’t keep hiding.  Besides, whenever he learns that we have them, he’ll come to us.  We won’t even have to work at capturing him.”

Braewyn sighed and her footsteps paused.  A chair creaked, like she’d sat down.  “But do you really think she knows anything about this?  Sure, I’m all for torturing it out of her…but we should really be working on John.  Not that little bitch.”

“But torturing her will torture John, Winnie.  Why do you think we put him in the next room?  Your brother, too.  Whenever they wake, it will be to the sounds of her screams.”  He sounded giddy with excitement.

She laughed, a smacking sound following.  A kiss.  “You’re so awful.”

“It’s part of my wicked charm.”

Claps of thunder drowned out the soft moans outside the door. 

I knew I should have been freaking out.  I knew I should have been panicking and screaming and crying for them to let me out and go to John and, apparently, Ryan.  I should have been doing a lot of things, but instead I was only doing one.

Getting so pissed that Badass Emmy was going to come out if they even came close.

And one person was going to get that version of Emmy tenfold.

Braewyn.

Brae.

And now Winnie, apparently. 

All three names corresponded with one word in my book:  bitch.

The woman was a total bitch…and I found out just how big of one when she’d appeared.

Before I’d learned who she truly was, what she’d really done to John and everyone else I loved, I just let her memory be.  For John mostly, because he’d mourned her ‘death’ for years.  But now we knew the truth, all of us knew the truth, and all I wanted to do was go crazy on her for hurting every single one of them.

Connor Peters better have a backup plan for me when I did get out of these cuffs…because her face was the first thing I was going to aim for. 

The lovebirds must have gone up for air.  The sounds of lips detaching followed a lot chuckle and a high-pitched giggle.  The chair – which they must have been sharing – creaked again before shadows appeared through the crack at the bottom of the door.  It rattled, sounding as if they were undoing locks that chained it closed.